Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use the whole disk encryption on external HDs?

Firstly my Lion install was a breeze with no problems, thanks Apple, downloaded and installed within 80mins.

I hear filevault and been totally re-vamped (not that i see it).. I also heard it would be possible to encrypt not just your mac HD but other HDs including externals.

I run a Macbook Pro with an SSD boot drive and the standard 750gb now resides where the DVD used to be as a storage drive curtacy of optibay. I would like to encrypt both if possible and maybe even some external HDs i use. I don't want to go the PGP route if possible.

I guess i was expecting some awesome new interface in the Filevault tab but nothings changed...

Any help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2011, 120gb MercuryPRO 6G SSD, 8GB

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:29 AM

9 replies

Jul 20, 2011 10:35 AM in response to black6

There should be a different option to turn File Vault on in Security, for your OSX volume.

Use Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities folder) for other drives.

There are new options for the encrypted formats (the disk must have the GUID partition map scheme).

Do be aware that those volumes will not be readable by Macs not running Lion, and that if you forget the password, your data is lost forever.

Personally, I'd wait a while before diving into that.

Jul 20, 2011 11:05 AM in response to black6

black6 wrote:

. . .

So i would asume by that i can only use the feature if i re-format the drive? I can't just encrypt an external drive that is already full of information right?

In most cases, no.

The exceptions are:

Turning it on for your OSX volume, via System Prefs > Security.

Encrypting Time Machine backups. See #31 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

How to use the whole disk encryption on external HDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.