Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

However you get Lion, you MUST Backup

Outside of that I wrote this user tip

http://www.tinyurl.com/lion-user-tip

Please remember backup twice before you get any upgrade!

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:34 AM

2 replies

Jul 20, 2011 10:41 AM in response to a brody

Agreed!!

It's highly advised to backup all one's data either manually to a external powered drive in addition to TimeMachine and Hold option bootable Carbon Copy Clones etc.

If your using Mac's in a mission critical type environment or have third party hardware or software you must rely upon working correctly. It's advised to wait until all the bugs, driver updates, third party software updates and other issues are resolved before upgrading. This might take several months. Then if you do so, do one machine at a time and carefully test everything before full deployment.

OS X Lion does not support "Rosetta" programs like AppleWorks!

Programs from makers like Adobe and Microsoft, in my experience have always been rather late to any OS X upgrade party.

You should create a bootable backup Lion disk here:

BackupLionBootable 10.7 Disk

Purchaseanddownload Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatibleMacrunning Snow Leopard.

1. Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
  2. Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
  3. Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
  4. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
  5. Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

With this disc you can boot any Lion compatible Mac, andinstall10.7 just like you installed previous version of Mac OS X. Youcaneven use Disk Utility's Restore function to image your Lion bootdiscimage onto a external drive suitable for performing a cleaninstallon a optical-drive-less MacBook Air, or Mac mini server.

http://eggfreckles.net/tech/installing-lion-clean/

Mar 3, 2012 12:36 PM in response to a brody

I used this user tip I wanted to share with you since you run the discussion of upgrading to Lion. I wanted to keep quicken for mac and I had bought Qucken essentilas. It is not really a comparable program with easy feature like quicken. This is what I did. I had an old 1TB external drive used for file backups. Partitioned that into 2 drives with drive utility. Set up the new blank partition with the GUID system. Then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my entire drive to that partion and now its bootable. If I need to get into any of the old programs that won't work in Lion, I boot up that partition. I did not have to purchase windows or another copy of Quicken for the PC.

However you get Lion, you MUST Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.