Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update, Mail stuck in "identifying message conversations"

After eagerly updating to Lion, Mail is stuck in a Mail Upgrade dialog that says "identifying message conversations. This may take a few minutes." But its been over 2 hrs and the progress bar is still in the same place it stopped at about 2/3 across. the quit and continue buttons are greyed out. so I will have to force quit it. Hopefully on restart it works. But wanted to report the issue. I have like 5 or 6 mailboxes with a lot of mail but it DEFINITELY shouldn't have taken this long.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 11:02 AM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2012 2:20 AM in response to FishNYC22

I just ran Mail.app (5.2) for the first time on Lion (10.7.4).

All went well, except "Identifying message conversations" took 7.5 hours (5.5 hours CPU) instead of "a few minutes".

The progress bar looked stalled, but moved about 1 letter every half hour.

For example, from under the letter "t" in "take" to under the letter "a".

Envelope Index grew to around 40MB. I think my mailbox was around 200MB

Apr 12, 2015 4:57 PM in response to FishNYC22

I too have same problem.

I am running 10.10.3(It's been more than 2 years since after the last report of this issue!) and same problem.

If this takes way long time for 200 MB, I am in great trouble because my email box contains 100,000+ / 5~10 GB emails since after 2003.

I tries to move to other email clients like Mailbox or Gmail, but this huge mailbox blocked me every time.

If this is not recovered in a days, I am in great trouble. So I wish this would be recovered soon.

After update, Mail stuck in "identifying message conversations"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.