Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtualization support disabled after upgrading to Lion, Parallels Desktop 6 will not resume my virtual machine, Virtualization support disabled after upgrading to Lion, Parallels Desktop 6 will not resume my virtual machine

I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro and was running Parallels Desktop 6 under Snow Leopard without problems until today when I upgraded to Lion. Now when I try to start Parallels I get this error message......

"Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac.

For optimal performance, please enable hardware virtualization support in your Mac's firmware."

Followed by......

"Unable to load the Parallels driver.

Restart your Mac and try again."

Been on the Parallels website which says version 6 IS supported by Lion, there's no relevant KB article but from what I can make out it's an Apple Firmware update issue????

If anybody can shed any light I'd be grateful

Many thanks

Ben

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Lion and Parallels Desktop 6

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 11:14 AM

Make sure you have updated to the latest version of Parallels. It is working fine on my Lion install and has been working for a couple of months now. It seems that the version of Parallels you probably have is not the most recent as that was the error message that I an others received when we first installed Lion. I suspect that is the problem. The Parallels build I am running that works with Lion is 6.0.12090.660720

This should solve your problem.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2011 11:14 AM in response to Benje1394

Make sure you have updated to the latest version of Parallels. It is working fine on my Lion install and has been working for a couple of months now. It seems that the version of Parallels you probably have is not the most recent as that was the error message that I an others received when we first installed Lion. I suspect that is the problem. The Parallels build I am running that works with Lion is 6.0.12090.660720

This should solve your problem.

Jul 20, 2011 11:36 AM in response to Bradley Olwin

Hi Bradley,

Thanks so much for your swift reply. I did think of that and checked "Software Update" via Apple, seeing as there were no updates for Parallels I assumed I was running the latest version. However after receiving your e-mail I went back into Parallels and found the "Check For Updates" tab under the file menu. There was an update available, I downloaded it and I'm now running "Build 6.0.12094 (Revision 676494; July 13, 2011)" without problems.

Many thanks for steering me in the right direction!!!

Ben

Jul 22, 2011 10:08 AM in response to Bradley Olwin

I have a similar problem with a mid 2010 MacBook Pro. Just installed Lion, then tried to check Parallels 6. There is no virtual machine window at all. However, there weren't any messages either. I did check for updates and installed the most recent build (same as above) but that didn't resolve the problem. Parallels seems to open but there's nothing on the desktop. I tried to select Configure from the Virtual Machine drop down menu and now all those options are grayed out.

The Parallels website isn't very helpful. My only virtual machine is Windows XP.

I'd like to be able to use the program again - carrying a 2nd computer for work just isn't worth it.

Larry

Jul 22, 2011 1:23 PM in response to Laurence Parks

Problem solved. It seems Mission Control was cloaking the virtual window. I went to the Mission Control settings in System preferences and deselected some of the standard options -Show Dashboard as a space & Automatically rearrange spaces based on recent use. Then deleted all the extra Desktops (4). When I worked with Mission Control again I got an option to go Full Screen; and there was the virtual window. It was waiting to finish installing updated tools and needed me to OK the process. Once that was complete, all was well.

Lion is great. And now Parallels is back. I'd still rather not do Windoz at all, but at least we can have operating systems that coexist.

Thanks to the community for being here. Peace!

Oct 28, 2013 7:00 AM in response to st_bush

st_bush wrote:

Okay I did update to Parallels 9, but now I can't find an excel file that was on my old Parallels desktop. Is there anyway for me to get this file back?

So you're saying that Parallels 9 works in your new installation of Mavericks, you can now use it to open whatever virtual machine you were using with whatever earlier version of Parallels you were using before you upgraded to OS 10.9, and when the virtual machine's own desktop appears, your excel file is not where you left it? If I didn't fill in the blanks correctly, please do so; it helps in troubleshooting.

Oct 28, 2013 9:56 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Yes my parallels 9 is now working on Mavericks. However in order to install Parallels 9 I had to delete my Parallels 7. And you are right it was an excel file and it is not on the new Parallels 9 desktop, but that is what it was saved to on Parallels 7. I realized now that I should have backed up my computer before updating it. But I just still had a little hope that I could maybe find that excel file.

Oct 28, 2013 11:40 AM in response to st_bush

st_bush wrote:

Yes my parallels 9 is now working on Mavericks. However in order to install Parallels 9 I had to delete my Parallels 7. And you are right it was an excel file and it is not on the new Parallels 9 desktop, but that is what it was saved to on Parallels 7. I realized now that I should have backed up my computer before updating it. But I just still had a little hope that I could maybe find that excel file.

Parallels is a program which creates an environment in which an operating system (usually Windows) can run on a Mac. The Windows virtual machine which the Parallels program creates is stored in your Documents folder (Documents/Parallels). When you run the Parallels 9 installer, it asks if you want to remove a previous version of Parallels (that appears to be optional), but if you do, the installer does that automatically; there's nothing that you have to delete by hand yourself. All that gets deleted is the old program (i.e., Parallels 7). Your virtual machine files aren't touched and should still be present in the Parallels folder inside your Documents folder.

What you're calling the "Parallels desktop" is actually the Windows desktop which appears when Parallels starts up Windows; you probably have Microsoft Office installed in Windows, which is what you used to create the Excel file. Assuming you didn't delete that Parallels folder inside your Documents folder, the Windows virtual machine should still be there, with the Excel file still on its virtual desktop. With Parallels 9 running, you should be able to open the Windows virtual machine that's in that folder and run Windows, and the Excel file should reappear.

Oct 28, 2013 12:05 PM in response to st_bush

What's inside that Parallels folder is the entire Windows virtual machine (if you Get Info on that Windows file, you'll see that it runs to GB's in size, which is pretty big).

st_bush wrote:

...There are no files there and the files do not come up in Windows either...

When you say "the files do not come up in Windows either," do you mean that you have Windows running, complete with the Windows desktop and its Start Button but that Excel file isn't on that desktop?

Virtualization support disabled after upgrading to Lion, Parallels Desktop 6 will not resume my virtual machine, Virtualization support disabled after upgrading to Lion, Parallels Desktop 6 will not resume my virtual machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.