Skip navigation

Why won't Photoshop CS3 in Lion?

23989 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 10:59 AM by Sheliv RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Scenario Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 20, 2011 11:33 AM

Immediately after upgrading to Lion, I'm apparently not allowed to run a very expensive program: Photoshop CS3. This alert claims I'm not connected to the internet but I clearly am. Anyone else seeing this? Is there a free update from Adobe? The Lion Installer did not list this app as being incompatible prior to upgrading my Mac.

Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 19.28.31.png

MacBook Pro 15", PowerBook G4 17", 512K Fat Mac, iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPods, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Apple TV, 1TB Time Capsule, Airport Express
  • reidc4 Calculating status...
    Jul 20, 2011 2:06 PM (in response to Scenario)

Photoshop CS3 works fine for me!  You just need to get the Java runtime installed.  Like the directions say!

• Gary P Level 4 Level 4 (1,395 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 2:11 PM (in response to Scenario)

According to Adobe's web site, Photoshop CS3 should work under Lion.

• Templeton Peck Level 9 Level 9 (57,670 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 2:12 PM (in response to Scenario)

You need to install Java:  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421

• JJDJB Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 2:12 PM (in response to Scenario)

Hi Scenario,

The other comments have been correct. Simply connect to the Internet and click "Ok" when the prompt asks you to download and install the runtime. Afterwards CS3 should work just fine!

-Jack

• Cory Jackson Calculating status...
    Jul 20, 2011 9:58 PM (in response to Scenario)

My Photoshop CS3 won't open either, but it's telling me PowerPC Applications are no longer supported in Lion.  I can confim with 100% certainty Java is current as of today.  I uninstalled then reinstalled PS3, and it still won't open.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 11.25.05 PM.png

• Gary P Level 4 Level 4 (1,395 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 10:17 PM (in response to Cory Jackson)

I don't know the solution to your issue, but I can confirm that Photoshop CS3 does indeed run fine under Lion, because I just did the Lion upgrade, opened Photoshop CS3, clicked yes to the Java update, and edited a photo.

• Yavari Calculating status...
    Jul 21, 2011 12:36 AM (in response to Cory Jackson)

I have the same problem, I think it is because we were running PS in Rossetta mode, I have other computer and I change PS to normal mode before updating to Lion and PS CS3 runs fine on that one, Can´t find how to fix the problem yet, I erased all CS3 apps and reinstall but did not work. Anybody with a solution???? (Can´t change to normal mode once you´re in Lion, already tryed)

• Edward Staines1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Jul 21, 2011 2:04 AM (in response to Yavari)

Having same issues with Illustrator CS and GoLive CS2. Java update didn't fix the issue. So what, am I supposed to spend a chunk of cash upgrading my Adobe products?

• Templeton Peck Level 9 Level 9 (57,670 points)
    Jul 21, 2011 4:10 AM (in response to Edward Staines1)

Edward Staines1 wrote:

Having same issues with Illustrator CS and GoLive CS2. Java update didn't fix the issue. So what, am I supposed to spend a chunk of cash upgrading my Adobe products?

Unforutnately yes.  Those apps are built on PowerPC code...meant for computers that Apple hasn't sold in over 5 years, which Mac OS no longer supports.

• Sean200 Calculating status...
    Jul 21, 2011 5:43 PM (in response to Scenario)

CS3 Lion Licensing.png

I experienced the same after upgrading to Lion.  I updated Java then this came up.  I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall PS, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, annd Fireworks.  Anyone experience this?  Simple solutions?

• Ben Rigsby Level 2 Level 2 (440 points)
    Jul 23, 2011 6:15 PM (in response to Cory Jackson)

I am getting the same message about Photoshop being a PPC App. The odd thing is, if I change the name of the app or move it to the desktop it will open with the request to repair it because it has been moved. It will then open, but I must repair the move each time I open it. It is also opening fine in other user accounts. So I am guessing it is some setting in my library that is causing this error. So does anyone know where Photoshop keeps all the settings? I have removed all the adobe settings/pref files I can find but it is still happening so I guess it is an invisible file somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

• thomasEHPPLE Calculating status...
    Jul 24, 2011 5:38 AM (in response to Scenario)

I found a fix for this on this video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRGpgAJ9uNw

• Vernon The III Calculating status...
    Jul 27, 2011 6:03 AM (in response to Scenario)

Upgraded to Lion and Photoshop CS3 seems to work fine EXCEPT for when i'm editing text in it. I wont let me put a space in the words. It almost seems like it knows a space is there but its not shoing it.

Is anyone else having this problem??

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.