Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install free Xcode 4.1 on Lion?

I've just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion and have also come to know that Xcode 4.1 is free for Lion users. I already have Xcode 3.x from my SL. I just upgraded to Lion. When I try downloading Xcode 4.1 from the MAS, it says downloading, and shows the status bar the same for several minutes, with no progress in download. Do I have to uninstall my older Xcode for Xcode 4.1 to download. Why is it staying in the download status forever? Thanks.

iMac 27" Core i5 Mid-2010 Model

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:02 PM

27 replies

Jul 21, 2011 1:15 PM in response to Chief Tarun

I install Lion with the xcode that buy with snow leopard time ago so when open xcode it say that isn't compatible with Lion because is the snow leopard version.So i go app store and yea i see is free so i download it and true takes a bit but i wait and i install it,it say updating xcode and done.In launchpad are the two installers yes the one for snow leopard version and the one for lion but the applications xcode,instruments etc now are up to date so may good idea don't delete the applications because that way don't need install them again just update them.After that i delete the install xcode snow leopard version but may can be done before that so no problems for me.

Jul 21, 2011 3:15 PM in response to Chief Tarun

I just bought a brand new MacBook Air with Lion preinstalled. Same problem installing Xcode 4.1. The icon just sits on "Waiting..." with no apparent progress. Since there is no tooltip giving you more information, I can only assume that it is stuck (as opposed to just very slow). Poor UI design if you allow large downloads. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jul 22, 2011 9:49 AM in response to coffear

After posting my previous post I decided to remove my old Xcode from the max (moved to trash from the app folder). After doing this I used the same downloaded file as before. This new install never completed (very nearly did).

Now xcode appears to be working fine. So it it is not the download that is faulty more the install procedure, there must be something the install is not updating.

Jul 25, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Chief Tarun

I had a problem where I had XCode 4.2 beta installed on Snow Leopard, upgraded to Lion, downloaded the free version on the App Store, and kept getting this when I clicked either the already installed XCode.app, or the Install XCode.app.

User uploaded file

This is a totally confusing alert by the way

I used this to uninstall XCode and the dev tools:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

and yet the Mac App Store said I had XCode installed (though I had appeared to have successfully uninstalled 'XCode for Snow Leopard'). I couldn't figure it out, and couldn't re-download the Mac App Store version of XCode (4.1 for Lion).

Finally, I searched for the term 'XCode' on my system, and saw the 'Install XCode.app' in a folder named the same, also in my /Applications folder. I noticed that the one outside the folder had a much older date and the version number was 4.02. The one inside the folder (Macintosh HD/Applications/Install XCode/Install XCode.app) had the right version and right modified date. That was the right one.

Hope this helps someone.

Unable to install free Xcode 4.1 on Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.