Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't delete apps from the launcher window. No black "X's."

I hold down the mouse button on an app, the screen shakes, but no black "X's" appear. There must be 80 apps in my launchpad, but not one of them has a black "X."

I hope there's a solution, because if I can't streamline Launchpad, it will be the most useless feature on Lion.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:23 PM

Unfortunately, only apps purchased from the Mac App Store can be removed from Launchpad.

26 replies

Jul 20, 2011 12:31 PM in response to jedo1

So basically, upon installation, Lion scours my hardrive for a bunch of apps that I've accumulated over the years, forgotten about, throws them permanently onto Launchpad, and prevents me from removing them.

That is utterly asinine. I'll definitely send a suggestion. They absolutely need to address this for the feature to be useful.

Jul 20, 2011 1:45 PM in response to jedo1

You can actually delete the apps from the launchpad.

You first have to delete it from the Application menu in the finder, or simply drag it from there to the trash, and get it empty.

Then, go back to the launchpad, try to launch the app you just deleted, it will put a "?" on it. THEN you can drag it from the launchpad to the trash...

Quite a HASSLE to delete an app... that's the only way I found. If anyone has an easier way, please keep me informed 😝

Jul 20, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Joss541

Thats the only way i could delete apps too from launchpad.I deleted about 12 apps this way but for me most of them disapeared from launchpad except 2 but as you say when i clicked on them i got a big question mark where upon i could drag the icon to the trash. i also do not get the "X" on the icons when i press and hold to make them jiggle. Another problem is if there is a long name under the icon in launchpad it is shortened as normal but when you put your cursor over it does not expand telling you what exactly it is.

Jul 20, 2011 2:41 PM in response to huggs2

You're absolutely right, as someone said you can't get the cross over the jiggling app if you didn't get it from the Mac App Store.

Test it, try to get a free app from there (like Twitter), and delete it. You'll get your cross 🙂

I personnaly haven't buy Lion for this launchpad, so I'm not too disapointed, but I understand it can be frustrating...

Jul 20, 2011 3:10 PM in response to sgginc

Hi Ken,

if you have an iPad or iPhone, it's just the same way as on them - you hold the app icon until it jiggles, then drag it onto another icon, let go and it creates a container which hold both of them. Then you can rename the container to something like Unwanted Icons, and drag more into it. It looks like you are limited to 32 icons per container, so you may need to create more than one.....

I can't delete apps from the launcher window. No black "X's."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.