Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see my /user/library?

Apple seems to have hidden the Library folder inside the user folder. I need to see it all the time. How?

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:48 PM

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities and enter or paste the following at the prompt:

sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

7 replies

Aug 21, 2011 12:38 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

There's a problem navigating to the user library folder when option/Go isn't available. For example, in order to clean up a threat manually in Sophos antivirus, you have to create a custom scan and navigate to the threat in the window that automatically comes up. But that window does not have the user library in it--and inevitably, that is where I have to start, So I cannot go through the steps to scan the offending worm. What to do?

Aug 22, 2011 3:58 AM in response to Hazel Greenberg

Hello Hazel:

As a future suggestion, post a question as a new thread - rather than "piggybacking" on an existing thread. In that way, more people will read your question and possibly provide suggestions. The only reason I read a thread that has already been answered is because I am E-mial subscribed.

As a suggestion, uninstall the Sophos A/V software. I am not trying to be flippant. There are NO viruses that affect a Mac running OS X - NONE. At a minimum, A/V software wastes system resource. On the really down side, A/V software causes some users real problems. A/V software on a Mac is searching for things that do not exist.

Barry

Aug 22, 2011 7:08 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

No, but there are worms and Trojans, and there was that MacDefender scare a few months ago. My user group basically thinks it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when the program is free. What appears to be the issue is that Sophos isn't playing well with Lion yet, so I uninstalled it, and then all was well.

With regard to replying rather than starting a new thread, I thought that is what you are supposed to do when the issue has already been dealt with, i.e., finding the library. But it's much easier to start a new thread, so I will do that from now on.

Thanks.

How do I see my /user/library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.