Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple deleting Rosetta-related posts

Just be warned, if you are not happy with Apple removing Rosetta (PPC-Support) from Lion, get ready to have your posts removed if you speak up about it.

It's happened to me twice now. This one will probably get deleted too. I guess Apple wants to give the appearance that this is a "flawless" launch, or it cannot handle criticism.

If you want to tell Apple that you'd like Rosetta (PowerPC) support back, send them feedback here, maybe they can sell it as an add-on: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:05 PM

18 replies

Jul 20, 2011 1:35 PM in response to Aaron P

Well yeah. Apple has stated that Rosetta has been removed and all PPC apps (and the few drivers that still worked in SL) are all ka-put. PPC support needed to be removed, but I felt it happened one or two versions too soon.

You can trash (well maybe not trash, but give 'em some heck 🙂 ) Apple on the forums, but ya GOTTA add something of use to the posts. Straight rants get deleted.

(not sure if I agree with that or not, but its thier ball, and if they wanna take it and go home its their option)

No Rosetta make Lion a non-starter for *me*. Might try it on 'play' partition, but won't be used for real work.

Jul 20, 2011 1:37 PM in response to Aaron P

Is this new news that Lion doesn't support PPC coding???? was it not announced when Lion was announced? We've all had plenty of time knowing that PPC would not be supported so why the big fuss about it now? If you need PPC applications and there is no Intel version don't upgrade to Lion until the 3rd party developers have released an Intel version.

Jul 20, 2011 1:44 PM in response to MudShark

The problem is you will need it if you want to use the iCloud. My .mac iDisk and email will only last until June next year then I will have to use the iCloud to keep my email.

Look for solutions, is upgrading possible? Perhaps install Snow Leopard on a separate partition.

I'm also annoyed that they are getting rid CD's and DVD's, but what can you do?

With any luck someone will come up with a third party Rosetta.

Kevin

Jul 20, 2011 1:52 PM in response to Kevin Horn

My point exactly Kevin. The other problem is that we won't even be given an option of dual-booting once the new machines come out, they will be Lion-only.

I've been thinking that if I get a new Mac at the end of the year, I'll have to either virtualize Windows (*****) or dual boot with Boot Camp in order to use some software. I won't have a choice but to use the Windows equivalent of Adobe Freehand MX for instance or Office 2003 so that I don't have to use MS' annoying ribbon interface with Office 2011.

Jul 20, 2011 1:53 PM in response to Aaron P

I was totally aware of this issue weeks ago and made sure I migrated these Rosetta apps to my laptop which will wait to be updated. Why not complain to the companies that write these apps instead of blaming Apple, they've had plenty of time to rewrite their Apps to work with Lion. Otherwise make the Snow Leopard partition. My only Rosetta App was Quicken 2007 which Intuit turned into the lame Quicken Essentials. Quickbooks 2011 works fine but there are some issues with Quickbooks 2010. Instead of supporting Lion they want you to upgrade. Not going to happen!

Jul 20, 2011 2:00 PM in response to Aaron P

No company is ever going to do everything you want. I can no longer buy any Apple displays or iMac because I can't stand the glare on glossy screens, which means I'll use my current Macs until the universe ends.

And I can't believe you are still using Freehand. I will grant you that it's a better app than Illustrator but continuing to use it is like beating a dead horse.

Kevin

Jul 20, 2011 2:36 PM in response to simonjhutton84

simonjhutton84 wrote:

was it not announced when Lion was announced?

AFAIR, not by Apple. Neither the June nor July press release made any mention. Whilst the page for the app does mention, for example

> Some features require apps developed to work with Lion.

the page offers no hint that some apps developed for an earlier version of the OS, apps that work with Snow Leopard, will cease to work in 10.7.

Jul 25, 2011 7:04 AM in response to MudShark

I can't understand why Apple is getting all the flack when the companies that make the applications had plenty of time to re-write and update their programs to work with Lion. It's not like Apple just said bye-bye. The only App I had affectd was Quicked 2007 and their lame upgrade to essentials for the Mac was a no-brainer. So for me I just switch to an app that is much more useful.

Apple deleting Rosetta-related posts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.