Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I didn't buy Snow Leopard because I didn't think it was worth it. Now I have to buy it for 5 minutes use, so I can download Lion? *****

I didn't buy Snow Leopard because I didn't think it was worth it. Now I have to buy it for 5 minutes use, so I can download Lion? *****

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:29 PM

You COULD wait until next month, when 10.7 will be available from Apple Retail on flash drives.

10 replies

Jul 20, 2011 1:30 PM in response to mickey361

Well,

As per the support KB, users need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first to upgrade to Lion. Since Lion is only available on App Store at this moment, there is no alternative. Note that Mac App Store only supports OS X 10.6.7 or later. However Apple is going to release Lion via USB drive in August. It's costs $69 instead off regular $29 digital download!

I hope this helps!

Jul 20, 2011 2:50 PM in response to mickey361

No. By purchasing OS X Lion USB Stick for $69, you don't need to purchase any additional license i.e., don't need to get Snow Leopard. However you may need to wait until Apple releases it in August!

If you want to purchase it from App Store you should have Snow Leopard v10.6.8 installed on your Mac first. Why don't you ping your local Apple Store?

Jul 21, 2011 7:42 AM in response to Ziatron

I'm still waiting for Lion to be released on DVD.

You mean the film from India (2006)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0928191/releaseinfo

Pigs will land on the moon before Apple breaks down and puts Lion in a round lucite/aluminum cage.

But seriously, consider this OS release as like HD management software, like Drive Genius. ProSoft makes a downloadable DVD image available (to registered users), and they can burn it onto a cheap blank DVD, or a dedicated partition or drive. As often as desired. DIY.

Apple is nudging the IT industry slowly away from mechanical storage, and towards storage in silicon alone. Optical storage relies on moving parts, and Steve et al. would rather have just the electrons move, and nothing bigger. The announced USB stix are the first big nudge.

Leopard users could conceivably share the cost of a clean Lion download with a Mac neighbor, and extract the standalone disk image (easy to find out how)—then skip Snow altogether. Skirts the EULA. Your results may vary.

I got a slight discount on Lion by buying two $15 App Store gift cards (10%—15% off, I forget) at Best Buy last month. Redeeming them at full face value is the cheapest way to get a hold of Lion. Legit. Won’t download until I read more, though. The USB version of Lion will likely be 10.7.1 or possibly .2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.