Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to adjust the Mail font size?

Is there any way to adjust the Mail font size? On my high resolution Macbook Pro it is too small and if I hack it to be larger, when I compose emails the text sends as huge to other people.

It doesn't make sense to buy high density screens like the 27" if I'm going to be squinting to read Mail.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:50 PM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Michael Schulz

The issue is that if you change the font size in preferences, and then reply to the email, the font size for the reply is also increased. So, somebody may write you:

Hi, how are you doing?

But when you reply "doing fine", their original message looks like gigantic because you've set the font size to 18 or something like that for display of mail fonts. What I need is just the display to be larger, not the actual default font size that is then used in a reply.

I had noticed that from many friends in email threads, but I didn't know why it was happening.

Dec 14, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Pinegrove26

I'm not certain this is what you are wanting to fix, but I've been frustrated by the font menu bar at the top of the window for outgoing messages since sometime around the Lion upgrade. It has a pull-down list of fonts that never changes the email's font, sizes that never change, B i u and S buttons that are ineffectual and even in the stationery, I couldn't change anything.... UNTIL I found that control-clicking (or right-clicking) on a word or block of text and choosing font > show fonts brings up a floating palette where you can affect changes.

Of course, it is buggy too... the slider works for a bit then goes way off with bigger font sizes when you move down on the slider. etc. but you CAN change the font size and choice of font again... yeah..! Boo to Apple for taking away a basic but leaving the menu... so frustrating.

Is there any way to adjust the Mail font size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.