Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you disable secure trash emtying

Somehow, the trash can on my mac is set on secure delete. How do I change it to regular delete.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:13 PM

If your machine specs are correct, i.e. you have a MacBook Pro, you can not be running OS 9.2 - no version of OS 9 can be used an any Mac with an Intel processor, which an MBP has. If your machine is an MBP, it must berunning some version of OS X.

Open the About This Mac item, top of the Apple menu - immediately under the legend "Mac OS X" is an info line of grayish text showing the current OS X version on your machine. What is that version number?

There are froums set up here just for each of the various OS X versions, where you'll usually get a quicker and more accurate response than posting OS X questions in the OS 9 forum (reason - OS 9 is radically not similar to OS X).

Relatedly, OS 9 does not include any means of Secure Delete native to the OS. That function can be achieved, but only through a 3rd-party add-on.

OS X does include Secure Delete as an option. In OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), that option can be made the default via Finder's Preferences > Advanced by checkmarking that choice -

User uploaded file

If that has become checkmarked, uncheck it.

Note (1) - you'll find Finder's Preferences in the Finder menu, not the Apple menu.

Note (2) - if you are running a different version of OSX, that setting may be elsewhere.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2011 2:13 PM in response to drjoel

If your machine specs are correct, i.e. you have a MacBook Pro, you can not be running OS 9.2 - no version of OS 9 can be used an any Mac with an Intel processor, which an MBP has. If your machine is an MBP, it must berunning some version of OS X.

Open the About This Mac item, top of the Apple menu - immediately under the legend "Mac OS X" is an info line of grayish text showing the current OS X version on your machine. What is that version number?

There are froums set up here just for each of the various OS X versions, where you'll usually get a quicker and more accurate response than posting OS X questions in the OS 9 forum (reason - OS 9 is radically not similar to OS X).

Relatedly, OS 9 does not include any means of Secure Delete native to the OS. That function can be achieved, but only through a 3rd-party add-on.

OS X does include Secure Delete as an option. In OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), that option can be made the default via Finder's Preferences > Advanced by checkmarking that choice -

User uploaded file

If that has become checkmarked, uncheck it.

Note (1) - you'll find Finder's Preferences in the Finder menu, not the Apple menu.

Note (2) - if you are running a different version of OSX, that setting may be elsewhere.

How do you disable secure trash emtying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.