Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I buy a Mac Mini Server, can I remove Lion Server and just keep OS X Lion?

This is because it has much better specs than the regular ones.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:00 PM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2011 1:50 PM in response to madmanuk

Agreed, but the quadness is just awesome, I am wanting to do the same, put Lion on the mac mini server, I understand everyone here saying, "Oh just don't use those ports" but how do i know what is automatically running and using ports that Im trying to use with other apps. Just headaches that could be eliminated by taking off server and putting on Lion...

Jul 31, 2011 12:22 PM in response to matthew.mcconnell

The is that using the Server.APP to turn off all services and uncheck the dedicate system resources to server services does not 'remove' the server designation: If you check profile, click more information you see that the OS is Software Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7 (11A511)

This make anti-virus programs like Sophos and Virus Barrier uninstallable. Any suggestions if I want my anitvirus programs back? Can I just reinstall LION? By doing so will the server components be removed and my currently installed perferences, apps and doc etc remaining?

Aug 16, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Imtiaz.U

Here was my solution to removing the 'server' software and running with standard Lion.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3108472?start=0&tstart=0

I had issue running certain software on the server version and now my machine just runs regular Lion as opposed to Snow Leopard server the issues are gone.

If you have multiple Macs you also only pay for OS X Lion once and not have to spend the extra on the server version.

If I buy a Mac Mini Server, can I remove Lion Server and just keep OS X Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.