Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement for FrontRow?

Since FrontRow is no longer supported in Lion, what apps can I use to replace it? Hopefully for free, since FrontRow was free. It also has to work with the Apple remote (pressing "Menu" should launch it)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:02 PM

10 replies

Jul 20, 2011 4:47 PM in response to _Eric_

Fortunately, I got a Time Machine backup. But I doubt restoring front row from the back up would help. I'll try that and post here. Front row is the defacto app for me as I used it all the time to watch stuff on my HD tv. I'm going to miss it dearly. along with my hdtv and my surrond sound, it was front row that made for a perfect home theatre system, both, in my bedroom and in my living room. Wonder if its done to push the sales of apple tv.

Neerav

Jul 20, 2011 5:11 PM in response to Party Marty

Anyone who's done this: once you "restore" Front Row by copying these files (and rebooting?) does the menu button bring up Front Row as before or do you have to manually launch the app?

I am surprised that Apple removed this functionality without a replacement. Seems a lot of people use it! I know I'm not going to update until something with this functionality and works with the remote on my MBP is available.

Jul 21, 2011 1:50 AM in response to _Eric_

My fix was a simple one although it did use a lot of memory, as i use front row a lot and failed at getting any of the other programs to play (plex, Medacenter, Centerstage)'40bucks i wont get back) i downloaded the installer listed here and copy/pasted the TV SHOWS file into the moves file, while yes this meens i have the moves saved in two spots on my computer they howerver do play and thats the whole point in the end

Jul 21, 2011 7:01 AM in response to _Eric_

Go with Plex (www.plexapp.com). It isn't a complete solution, but it is far more feature rich.

Downsides: Won't play protected files (i.e. movies), and I have been unable to get the "FrontRow" style launching to occur.

Positives: My 3 year old can use it quite easily, and the interface is so content rich that he can even find particular episodes of his favourite TV Shows. You can also span HDDs.

Replacement for FrontRow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.