Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LEAP wireless is gone in Lion

I just upgraded to Lion and the wireless network that I have been connecting to under Snow Leopard for years is no longer available to me. It is set up using LEAP security. Under Snow Leopard I would select Join Other Network... under the AirPort menu. Then under Security I would select LEAP. Then I would enter the Network Name, Username, Password, and click Join.

Under Lion this is no longer an option.

iOS has never had the LEAP option but I'm able to connect to the same network on both my iPhone and iPad by selecting WPA2 Enterprise. I tried that under Lion and it gave me the message "No network found."

This is awful as I am now saddled with either wiring my computer to the network when in my office or using the much much slower student network.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 3:26 PM

Are you using Dynamic WEP with LEAP or WPA/WPA2 with LEAP. If so, either can be auto joined without the need of creating a configuration profile for Lion (configuration profiles are created with either IPCU or Profile Manager that comes with Lion server).

To connect to a Dynamic WEP with leap network, click on the Wi-Fi icon and choose "Join Other Network". Then choose WEP enterprise. Enter your user credentials and Lion should auto neg LEAP.

If you truely have a WPA and or WPA2 network, just choose WPA or WPA2 Enterprise and enter your credentials. Again, Lion will auto neg LEAP.

All of the 802.1X profile configuration ability has been stripped from the Lion client. Now, Lion is much more like an iOS device, where you have to create a profile (again via IPCU or Profile Manager) in order to use EAP types that are not supported by Lion's auto neg (E.g. TTLS with PAP).

Hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2011 3:26 PM in response to frankxiv

Are you using Dynamic WEP with LEAP or WPA/WPA2 with LEAP. If so, either can be auto joined without the need of creating a configuration profile for Lion (configuration profiles are created with either IPCU or Profile Manager that comes with Lion server).

To connect to a Dynamic WEP with leap network, click on the Wi-Fi icon and choose "Join Other Network". Then choose WEP enterprise. Enter your user credentials and Lion should auto neg LEAP.

If you truely have a WPA and or WPA2 network, just choose WPA or WPA2 Enterprise and enter your credentials. Again, Lion will auto neg LEAP.

All of the 802.1X profile configuration ability has been stripped from the Lion client. Now, Lion is much more like an iOS device, where you have to create a profile (again via IPCU or Profile Manager) in order to use EAP types that are not supported by Lion's auto neg (E.g. TTLS with PAP).

Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2011 8:27 PM in response to DrVenture

Your answer was spot on. The head of our IT department had already made the suggestion of trying WEP Enterprise before you replied and it worked perfectly. What suprised me is that I couldn't find anything on the Apple website about this. They had to know that some people would be looking for it. I mean they completely removed an option from the dropdown.

The only strange thing to me is that it uses a different option than iOS since the same options are available in both now.

Jul 26, 2011 7:37 AM in response to frankxiv

I was able to make this work with the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3 for mac on Lion. It's a little tricky though. Instruction below.

Basic instructions for getting 802.11x Wifi connection working again in Lion:

Download & Install iPhone Configuration Utility

Mac version: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL851

Windows version: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl926

Open iPhone Configuration Utiity

File > New

Edit the section labeled General

Add values into the fields: Name, Identifier

Edit the section labeled Wi-Fi

Add the Wifi SSID and the other appropriate settings on the Protocols, Authentication & Trust tabs

Click File > Export and save the file to your Desktop

From the destination Mac machine (I'll assume you are on the same machine)

Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities >Terminal)

sudo /usr/bin/profiles –L #this will list the installed profiles

sudo /usr/bin/profiles –I –F /PATH/TO/yourexportedconfigfile.mobileconfig

Go to System Preferences > Network

Select Wifi

Click Connect

LEAP wireless is gone in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.