Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Keys to press to get Windows 7 Task Manager on MacBook Pro ?

15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:30 PM

10 replies

Jul 22, 2011 2:41 PM in response to avoice

Like the other responder said, it's fn + control + alt/option + delete.

Basically, Mac keyboards don't have a separate key for "delete", as opposed to "backspace", as they are called on Windows. The way Mac keyboards handle it is they do "backspace" (delete the character before the cursor) if you press the [delete] button, and they do "delete" (delete the character after the cursor) if you do fn+delete. So, in order to send ctrl + alt + delete to Windows, you also need to hold fn.

However, it's easier to get to the Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar.

Jul 23, 2011 2:19 PM in response to avoice

Thanks for the help. I got the Task Manager thru the taskbar, but I was and still am trying to it by key entry because that is what I am used to. My MBP has a delete key, unlike other keystroke attempt that I have

tried where a delete key isn't on a Mac. I also am a retired enggggineeeer so there's bound to be confusion because I am left-handed too.

Thanks again !!!!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 15", 2.4 GHZ Core Duo 5 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Disk; iPhone 4

Aug 12, 2011 10:47 AM in response to avoice

I run Windows with the Citrix client (web apps) and Control-Alt-Delete simply doesn't work. I'm already used to fn-Delete for the Delete key, so I naturally tried Control-Alt-fn-Delete, but it doesn't work. My guess is that fn with either Alt (Option) or Control is changing the meaning of one of those keys, so the Windows side isn't seeing Control-Alt-Delete. Fortunately, another keystroke does work to get to Task Manager directly:

Control-Shift-Escape

Tim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.