Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full screen apps in lion ruins external monitors ..

I run a macbook pro 15" and have a 24' monitor attached on my desk as well, but when using the 'Full Screen' mode in Lion it takes over both screens and makes my attached monitor totally unusable. Is this a mistake and something that will be fixed or is my other monitor now totally useless now ?

Thanks for any help.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:44 PM

25 replies

Jul 20, 2011 3:07 PM in response to tom162

ShawnGrinter2 and tom162 did describe user scenarios that I would consider to be valid by themselves, depending on what a user wants. E.g. "displaying the same thing" would probably apply to instances where a beamer or presentation mode is neeeded.

I can add to this:

a) I want the choice of which monitor the window is placed on when on a multiple monitor setting

b) I want to be able to use single full screen app per monitor.

c) I want the choice to have the app span both screen in full screen mode

I think Apple did not pay a lot of attention to scenarios where users use more than one monitor.

Jul 25, 2011 7:08 PM in response to tom162

Here is a screen shot of my 3 monitor setup under Snow Leopard, and it is my understanding that Lion will make the two side monitors display a linen pattern.

The center monitor (iMac 27") is Aperture in full screen mode, the left one has Mail, the right Safari, both have Aperture HUDs.

I'm thinking that real linen would have been cheaper than faking it with two external monitors.

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2011 5:20 AM in response to neoonline

@neoonline, I don't know how to get three on a MacBook Pro, but I'm guessing it's possible with an external device. There may be limitations on the sizes of the externals.

However, my argument still holds for a MBP with one external monitor. I don't want it to turn into fake linen either!

I have a MBP, and I'm thinking I'll try Lion on it using a spare internal drive and test this out with a monitor from my iMac.

Full screen apps in lion ruins external monitors ..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.