Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot connect to ReadyNAS NV+ now that I am running Lion. What am I doing wrong?

I know there is an issue with AFP and that an update is due from Netgear sometime in the future, but I have my iTunes library on my ReadyNAS and under Snow Leopard I accessed the files usuing CIFS, but under Lion my Mac is refusing to connect in any way at all regardless of what protocol I try.

Under the workgroup connection and CIFS I get the message "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

The NAS is running fine, I can stream media over a DLNA connection, the connection is fine ( I still have internet connection and when I turn the various protocols on and off on the ReadyNAS the status in finder changes ) but I just cannot connect.

I have checked all user names and passwords and they are all as they should be.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I might be doing wrong or if there is a work around?

Cheers

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:51 PM

14 replies

Jul 20, 2011 4:07 PM in response to Bluemoonin

for any others who are having the same issue I have found a work around for the moment.

In Safari enter the following address

smb://(LOCAL ReadyNAS IP)

in practice it should look something like....

smb://192.168.1.xx

with xx being one or 2 digits.

You have to log in as admin using the ReadyNAS admin password, but you can then get to your files through Finder and also any of your programs that have files on your ReadyNAS should be sorted too.

Jul 21, 2011 5:22 AM in response to Bluemoonin

I found this on http://www.readynas.com/?p=5742

"If you are using a ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ or past sparc-based systems (600, X6, 1000S, 1100), do not update to Lion if you are accessing the ReadyNAS over AFP or are using Time Machine. We’re working on a solution, but this will take some time as it involves optimizing some code for the sparc-based SOC (System-0n-Chip), so please bear with us. In the meantime, if you have to have Lion and you’re not using Time Machine, you can use SMB to connect to the ReadyNAS."

The SMB workaround did not work for me though, so it's £20 down the toilet and back to Snow Leopard....the word "chocolate teapot" comes to mind.

Jul 21, 2011 7:02 AM in response to Claudius2k

the full story unravels here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51033&start=150

It looks like this has been known since February, in a nutshell, Apple have demoted DHCAST128 AFP authentication so all services and devices (most NAS for that matter) using netatalk are no longer accssible from Lion.

Reminds me of Vista where NTLM authentication was disabled by default in favor of NTLMv2 so connections to SMB devices failed. In Vista however, you were easily able to activate this.

There seems to be a way to enable DHCAST128 in Lion http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-wo rkaround/

I'll give it a shot tonight.

Jul 21, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Wiederganger

the following steps worked for me:

To turn on "DHCAST128" support please do the following:
1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:

Code:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

Now restart your computer.
2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use "Connect To...". This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file
3) Launch Terminal again and do:

Code:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array "Cleartxt Passwrd" "MS2.0" "2-Way Randnum exchange"
sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Now restart your computer.

SMB however is still giving problems and Time Machine has been hardwired to the new auth scheme, so no cure for that.

Apple: listen up and learn from Microsoft - when they switched to NTLMv2 for the very same reasons as you, they allowed for backwards compatibility, via UI, documented.

Very Apple, let hundreds of 3rd party manufacturers address your lack of backwards compatibility for you, who cares what users need, the caravan will move on.

With that experience and other niggles, poor performance and battery life, I am back to Snow Leopard, 20 quid poorer and richer for an experience. I skipped Vista, I'll skip Lion, the mouse that roared.

To answer the thread title: what you did do wrong is to purchase and install Lion.

Jul 21, 2011 5:15 PM in response to Bluemoonin

Thanks to all those who have also posted their experiences and extra info. Very helpful!

The work around I posted is still working for me, the only amendment I have made was to add the mounting of the ReadyNAS to the user Login Items so that it happens straight after a boot, this way the files are there as soon as I run an app.

It's not ideal but at least I have access to my files.

It seems that Netgear were either unaware that the other protocols were not going to be supported or that there was a last minute change between the last beta and the final release. I would be interested to find out which it is. Ahhh... the curse of the early adopter!

Jul 22, 2011 12:27 AM in response to Bluemoonin

I didn't have any sort of problem with my 10.7 and NV. I have an AppleScript that connects using something like smb:// and it's ip address

I am having some strange behavior with iTunes 10.4 under 10.6.8 and 10.7. When I add new media to my iTunes library on the NV via the samba connection, iTunes seems to limbo the files in grey and never import them. Anyone seen this behavior? It might be some of the settings on the NV, like some of the CIFS settings. I'm going to check tomorrow.

I cannot connect to ReadyNAS NV+ now that I am running Lion. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.