Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three language menus one track, end jump back to choosen menu

I have wrestled with this for a while now; The project looks like this: the first play menu is a menu with three flags (Swedish, Norwegian and Great Britain) Each flag connects to three identical menus (Swedish, Norwegian and English language menus) In each menu you can play the concert film, the end jump is now set at the first menu with three flags, I want the track to go back to the menu it "came" from, like if you played the track from the Norwegian menu you should get back there when the track is finished. The problem here is almost solved, I got some great assistant from Mr Pi here at this support community, but his instruction didn't work all the way, I only got it working in the Swedish menu, and when I played the track from the other two menus it end jumped to the Swedish menu.

Pi's instruction sounded like this;

"There's a couple of ways to do this. The simplest is this.

1. Create a script - call it something like Set Lang Swed
  2. In the script on the first line add a command 'set GPRM'
  3. Change the source type to 'immediate' and the value to '1' and target to an unused GPRM (like 0)
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the other languages replacing the immediate value to 2 & 3 respectively (still for the same target as before)
  5. Now create another Script and call it something like 'Menu Return'
  6. In that script add a Jump command to the first line.
  7. Set the 'Jump to' to the Swedish Menu
  8. Tick the Compare Command and execute if 'GPRM 0' (or whatever) is '=' to 'Immediate' with value '1'
  9. Add another line and set that to 'Jump to' the next Language Menu then do step 8 again with a value of '2'
  10. Repeat step 9
  11. Set the track End Jump to the 'Menu Return' script
  12. Set the Track>RemoteControl>Menu setting to the Menu Return script"

I followed this instructionand I only got it working in the Swedish menu. Someone else have an idea about this, or maybe Mr Pi wants to have a try at it again?🙂

//Mike

macpro 2.8 8 core, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 10 gb ram

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 3:24 PM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2011 9:22 AM in response to mikenite

Maybe I don't understand the problem, but why aren't you just using Stories? I've been doing sub-menus like the ones you describe (that return to themselves) for years. The only "trick" is in getting your clip and button naming conventions together so the linking doesn't get crazy.

Good luck!

(ps: sounds like a great project... I'm part Norwegian and part Swedish but don't speak either. 😟

Jul 23, 2011 5:16 PM in response to mikenite

OK, but only in honor of my beloved grandmother, who was born in Kristiansand...

It'll help if you review the Help files on the Story topic...

Let's say you decided your main movie will service the Swedish menu (and I'll call that main movie Track 1).

To make up the other two "movies" for the Norwegian and English menus, make two Stories using the Add Story button. Go to the Story tab (in the Timeline quadrant) and in Story One, you'll find all the chapter marks from Track 1 listed on the left side of the window. Select all of them and drag them to the right side. This basically says Story One will play all of Track 1. Next select Story Two from the Story drop-down menu and repeat the process of selecting all the chapter marks and dragging them all to the right side of the window. Now you have three movies that can be played with three different buttons. So we need to link things up.

In the Outline tab (quadrant 1) name your stories for the language of the menu you want to work from/back to. This is to make all the links easy to create and verify. When you select "Norwegian" (which was originally Story One) you'll see in the Inspector that you can set an End Jump, in this case to the Norwegian Menu. At the bottom of the inspector window you'll also see drop down for Remote Control>Menu. Set it to Norwegian Menu as well and you'll return to that menu if you're watching the track and hit the Menu button on the remote control.

Do the same things to the English story and you'll be set.

If anything here is unclear, respond and I'll clarify as fast as I can.

Jul 24, 2011 3:34 PM in response to RatVega™

Thank you very much, mange takk, tack så hemskt mycket!

This almost solved it - except for the english menu, when you press play from the english menu the english subtitles starts automatically via a script so if I link to the new english story menu the track plays without subtitles. The customer demands that the subtitles play automatically. Is there a way around this?

Jul 26, 2011 2:04 PM in response to mikenite

I thought this might be coming...

I think you may need to drop the script. According to the DVDSP manual:

"By default, a story has access to the same audio and subtitle streams that the track has access to..." I've never worked with multiple subtitle streams so I can't say for sure, but I envision that there must be a way to select the appropriate stream.

Three language menus one track, end jump back to choosen menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.