Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone running VM Virtualbox in Lion?

Is anyone running VM Virtualbox inside Lion?

I'd like to upgrade to Lion and then run VM Virtualbox with Snow Leopard on it...

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad core, Mac OS X (10.6), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, Boot Camp/Win XP Pro, iPhone 4, iPad

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 7:07 PM

25 replies

Dec 9, 2011 11:40 AM in response to AGupta

AGupta,

I am running VM Virtualbox inside Lion and it works very well. I had a dual boot with Windows for a while but realized that Virtualbox takes up less hard drive space and works as well as needed in a virtual machine. If you would like to upgrade to Lion there will not be any problems with this software. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional.

Bish12

Dec 9, 2011 11:41 AM in response to Bish12

Bish12 wrote:

AGupta,

I am running VM Virtualbox inside Lion and it works very well. I had a dual boot with Windows for a while but realized that Virtualbox takes up less hard drive space and works as well as needed in a virtual machine. If you would like to upgrade to Lion there will not be any problems with this software. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional.

KBishop

The OP said he wants to run Snow Leopard in Vbox on Lion, not Windows. Do you have any experience wuth that? does it work?

Dec 9, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Csound1

I have the Oracle VM VirtualBox Software installed on Lion 10.7.2 and am installing Snow Leopard from my old Snow Leopard DVD (10.6). This is so that I can use Rosetta to run my older software.

What discovered was that it Snow Leopard will install using the Mac OS X Server feature on the Vitual Machine. However, the virtual drive needs to be formatted before it will install. The way to do that is to open Disk Utilities on the Snow Leopard DVD in VirtualBox, find the virtual drive and format it for the Mac OS X operating system.

This is the whole story, for now, I am now waiting for Snow Leopard to install and will reply to this tread with updates.

Bish12

Dec 9, 2011 9:23 PM in response to AGupta

Good news! I was able to successfully Install and run Snow Leopard on Oracle's VirtualBox.

The first thing I did was to create a new machine and make it a Mac OS X Server 64-bit. I set my machine settings just above the minimum recommended for the operating system. The SuperDrive needs to be set as primary master drive or the machine will not find the install disk. I had to make sure the install disk was in the SuperDrive before I ran the machine for the first time, that should go without saying but I forgot the first time.

After the language prompt I opened disk utility and formatted the virtual drive as a Mac OS (Journalled) drive. Once this was complete I continued with the install. Through trial and error I found that the computer needs to be kept from going to sleep during the install, if not, the install will be corrupted.

After the install was complete the system rebooted and took me through the set up for a new machine. The first thing I did was to start Software Update to bring the system current.

Over all it should take less than 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the speed of your machine. The virtual machine works great and I am excited to have that option and to have snow leopard as one of my virtual machines with which to work.

Bish12

May 27, 2012 8:14 AM in response to Bish12

Clarify?

So, you have VirtualBox running in a Mac computer with OS of lion, correct?

Inside VirtualBox, you have installed a virtual machine running . . . what? Snow Leopard 64 bit server? Snow Leopard client - that's what I would think would be on an "old Snow Leopard DVD (10.6)?"

Where you mention "create a new machine and make it a Mac OS X Server 64-bit," is this a setting that you chose while creating the VM, after which you installed a Snow Leopard client VM, or was it a Snow Leopard Server 64bit VM you installed?

I am rebooting into Snow Leopard at times to do some of my work and it would be a great convenience to be able to do it with a VM. I have to take apart and reassemble my MBP, which now has 2 HDs and zero optical drives in order to follow your suggestions, so I want to be sure I understand clearly what you did.

Thanks.

May 27, 2012 8:23 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 wrote:

In any event it is actually against the terms of use for SL client to be installed into any virtual machine.

That's never been established beyond all question. Moreover, Apple hosts have never deleted or closed any of the many threads that have discussed this since July last year, which would be a bit odd if it's clearly and uncontroversiallly illegal.

May 27, 2012 8:29 AM in response to Shootist007

This argument has been run a million times in these forums. Search ASC for the answers, I'm not going through it all again. The short answer is until someone can show me a first hand quote from an Apple EULA that forbids it, nothing else counts (and not all those second-hand quotes from Parallels etc).

As I said, ASC has never had a problem with any threads discussing it.

May 27, 2012 8:39 AM in response to softwater

Well, at least what I'm doing now is apparently not annoying to Apple. I took out the optical drive and put in a second HD. That has 3 partitions: a bootable Lion to let me repair my primary Lion HD if need be, a bootable Snow Leopard (let's me run older hardware requiring Rosetta), and bootcamp Windows 7. I

Still it would be pleasant to be able to use the older hardware without rebooting.

So, what do y'all suppose Bish12 actually did? Was it server or client he installed into that VirtualBox?

Would I _really_ not be able to use an external optical drive (USB or FW400) for the formatting of the virtual drive?

May 27, 2012 9:36 AM in response to autnagrag

autnagrag wrote:

a bootable Lion to let me repair my primary Lion HD if need be

Lion's built-in Recovery volume will do that.

So, what do y'all suppose Bish12 actually did? Was it server or client he installed into that VirtualBox?

Apparently it was the Server version, which has always been supported.

The bickering over Snow Leopard in a VM is pointless. It was an old feature meant for Xserves. Nobody every used it because nobody every bought any Xserves. Apple has no intention of supporting hacked-up configurations just so people can run some old, unsupported hardware or software. Just do yourselves a favour and upgrade already.

Anyone running VM Virtualbox in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.