Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server running in 64bit?

Installed Lion on my Mac Mini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Snow Leopard was running in 64 bit. Lion is running in 32bit... Is it possible to change the bit rate that Lion is running?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Does the Mac Mini Server in 64 bit

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:01 PM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2011 5:28 PM in response to GaryM621

Lion is 64bit.

I don't know where you're getting the info that you Server is running 32bit...you have the wrong assumption

Even the Finder is 64Bit only.... Now, Lion runs 64Bit but it can launch 32bit aps, that's why you may see some processes with 32bit labels in the activity monitor...

Actually there is no simple/clean way to run Lion in 32-bit.

By the way, what is this thin about bitrate... lol!

Bitrate is for audio, video, etc... basically it's rate , measures speed/quality etc...384Kbit/s etc... (see the /s -> rate)

In 32-Bit / 64-Bit th bit has nothing to do with a rate!!! it's a size... the width of the memory address chunks if you will ( I am simplifying a bit)

I had a good lough though! ;-)

Jul 28, 2011 6:25 PM in response to The Teknologist

Tekno - I hate to burst your bubble but it's perfectly possible to run Lion in 32-Bit mode (see below) - I just used the opposite technique as I described above (nvram bootargs="arch=i386") to set my newly installed Lion Server to run in 32-bit. Why you would want to is another matter - and I have no idea how Gary's got set to 32 Bit but to laugh at him is not polite behaviour, particularly when you're not correct.

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2011 6:36 PM in response to matwyn

Ok first chill out. I

Reread m'y post please.

1) i said there is no clean/simple way. I know you can run in 32-bit' i meant it's ot the default anymore maybe its gotten easier with the final release but i know it wasn't that trivial in DPs

2) i laughted in a gently and friendly manner to the bitrate denomination for the platform architecture

If you don't get any of these , nevermind, we probably live in a different world.

Also if lion by some kind of magic , reverts itself automagically to 32bit there might be a reason (faulty hw, corrupted software, rogue app, etc.)

No agresivity meant in tnis post.

Cheers,

Eric

Jul 28, 2011 7:14 PM in response to The Teknologist

None taken, I just don't find it particularly useful or polite to flame someone and not even bother to answer their question. you immediately told the guy that he had a 'wrong assumption' - well did he? Is it possible to be in 32Bit mode in Lion? Oh it is? In that case did he have a 'wrong assumption'?

I did read your post BTW, and I don't see how 20 or so letters in the Terminal isn't at least a fairly easy/simple solution. I do accept that your last point was at least on topic and I agree if it's reverting all by itself then there is soemthing more fundamentally wrong with the server, which would require further investigation.

Cheers

Matt

Lion Server running in 64bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.