Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New window in Safari does not open under my default homepage - just upgraded to Lion

I just upgraded to Lion and whenever I open Safari, it opens on the last page I used versus that my default homepage.

Is this a bug? It worked fine prior to upgrading and I didn't change any of my settings.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Safari 5.1

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:19 PM

7 replies

Jul 21, 2011 3:25 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Nope, that doesn't work at all !

I have the same kind of problem. I did some research, and it seems that, due to the use of "resume" any time you launch safari after quitting it (Safari -> Quit Safari), when you open Safari after that, it launches the last viewed page.

That is pretty annoying, because I'm used to go to top sites any time I launch Safari under Snow Leopard so that I can directly go to the websites I want.

What is the use of setting "Home Page" or "Top Sites" in the Safari Preferences if you can't use them ???

Help anyone ??

Jul 21, 2011 10:46 AM in response to lazyntired

Just talked with support... two options...

Opton 1 (turns off the new "Resume" feature which is new to Lion...) Under System Prefs, click OFF the check box for Restore windows when quitting and re-openingn apps....

Option 2... when you quit Safari, include the option key... so option-command-Q to quit... this quits and discards the windows you have open...

Made my protest to this silly change known... it should be a check box in Safari to load last page, not effect another programs functionability... You're slipping Apple... that's a Microsoft move!

Sep 16, 2011 2:23 PM in response to Larry Huhn

Larry,

Sorry, didn't make that very clear...

System Prefs

General

Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps... (under Number of Recent Items) (UN-check this box to turn OFF the feature...)

Or... try it awhile, I've gotten used to it and now for most programs where I open the same files frequently, I just let it open them every time I open the program... saves me the hassle of having to search for them in the menu... The Command/Option/Q stroke closes everything back to the base if I ever want that...

New window in Safari does not open under my default homepage - just upgraded to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.