Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete duplicate applications?

After I installed Lion, I had duplicate applications in Launchpad. I tried reinstalling Lion and they remained. Another troubleshooting techniques was depressing control + option+ command and that yielded no results. How do I get rid of the duplicate applications?

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:06 PM

15 replies

Jul 20, 2011 9:40 PM in response to Bretski63

This is a known bug in Lion. The Launchpad database does not update properly. More info can be had at http://haiteq.com/2011/07/07/quick-tip-force-os-x-lion-to-reload-the-launchpads- contents/

To force the LaunchPad to refresh its database, run the following command in Terminal:

sudo rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db

You'll be prompted not to mess with sudo commands, and then asked for your admin password. This will delete the database that is used to populate the LaunchPad.

To apply the change and make the LaunchPad create a new database, run this command:

sudo killall Dock

The Dock will restart, along with Mission Control and the LaunchPad. The grid of icons should be refreshed, and the changes you have made to the applications should be visible.

This worked for me, and only took a few seconds.

Oct 15, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Bretski63

I have had this same issue arise with each update including the initial install of Lion. With the duplicate applications that showed up, upon install and the 10.7.1 upgrade, the duplicate application issue was corrected with performing an additional shutdown and restart. With 10.7.2 this did not work but I entered "Command I" and changed all permissions on the partial application of Mission Controll and was able to delete. I would note that I only did this after confirming that it was a ligitemate duplicate and not the same application showing up twice (two pathways).

Nov 1, 2011 8:48 AM in response to Bretski63

There is a much easier, 3-step process that doesn't involve having to reorganize your launchpad, especially useful if you created groups of folders to organize your apps.

1. In Finder, locate the application of which there are duplicates and move it to the trash, but DO NOT empty the trash.

2. Quit the Dock process through Activity Monitor. It will restart automatically, and all references to that particular application should disappear from Launchpad. Don't worry, this is normal. Leave Activity Monitor open.

3. Place the application back in the original folder and quit the Dock process again.

When it restarts, Launchpad should be down to one reference. This has worked perfectly for me many times.

Hope this helps!

Source: Personal experience

How do I delete duplicate applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.