Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad scrolling in Lion is backward

In SL, on my Magic Trackpad, dragging two fingers down scrolled the page down and two fingers dragged up scrolled up. However in Lion, two fingers dragged down scrolls up and two fingers dragged up scrolls down. Batteries were just changed, so that is not is an issue, and I could not find anything in System Preferences. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:40 PM

System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Scroll direction (uncheck this box)

12 replies

Jul 28, 2011 12:40 PM in response to ap141

This is actually normal. If you don't like it go to System Preferences > Trackpad and uncheck the top checkbox that says "When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move content in the direction of finger movement"

Best of luck.

I don't know how "normal" it is... Never in all my time since the creation of this feature on Tiger (2005) have I had to go in and change any setting to have the page go down when I two-finger scroll down on my trackpad.

BUT, *you* provided an answer - something Apple's customer support on the phone couldn't do! THANK YOU so much 😀 I was seriously just about to downgrade back to Snow Leopard and be content with never upgrading until this issue was resolved. Sounds silly, I know... but I love two-fingered scrolling 'not normal' 😉

...now, I just have to upgrade my Office 04 to be compatible...I wish I had known that part before I upgraded (newer versions of office suck) 😟 oh well though!

Aug 8, 2011 1:01 PM in response to ap141

Thank you so much for this post! I appreciate it because this default "backwards scroll" stuff became quite annoying for me to say the least! Now, my "natural" scroll consist of scrolling down by swiping with 2 fingers downward and swiping up to move upward. Sweet! That is all I wanted & now I am happy again.

LOL

Aug 9, 2011 7:08 PM in response to igmackenzie

Actually I based my experience of what "normal" was from being a Mac user for the last 5 years. I have simply gotten used to the fact that to scroll downward means that you swipe in a downward motion & the opposite to go up on a page. So, "normal" can be quite relative! It's based on what some us have simply been used to. My original Black Gen 1 Macbook had the classic configuration that I was happy to resume to, thanks to the previous posters.

I'm not on a quest to be "right". I simply was stating my point from the configuration that has been in place for the entire time that I have used Mac computers. I'm sure that there are others out there who also would rather scroll downward with 2 fingers and know that the page will move down and not the opposite direction. So, to be quite honest with you, as a IT Professional myself, I would rather things work more seamlessly and common sense oriented. And no, I won't be switching back to the opposite configuration anytime soon. Thank you very though for the suggestion, lol 🙂

Aug 23, 2011 9:57 AM in response to ap141

Mac OS 10.1 - 10.6 all had the opposite scrolling effect. Now, I have to go "up" to go "down" -- this is horrible, feels completely unnatural to me.

But it's even worse because I don't have a trackpad -- I have a mighty mouse. (Not the MAGIC mouse -- a mighty mouse, with the scroll wheel). The scroll wheel scrolls totally backwards and there's no preference I can find in the System Prefernces to fix this.

Big fail in my opinion.

Trackpad scrolling in Lion is backward

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.