Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC software

I've just updated to Lion OSX. Everything seems to be working except my Nikon film scanner software - it comes up with an error message "PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Nikon's website say that they won't be updating any of their scanner software to Lion.

Does anyone know whether there's a way to make this software work, except by reverting to Snow Leopard, please?

Lion OSX-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 3:09 AM

Your best bet is to search for an application on the web that works with your scanner.

Make sure that whatever software you get is either "Universal" or "Intel" compatible.

Apple no longer supports legacy software [PowerPC] in the new 64-bit environment.

Hope that helps Apls

3 replies

Jul 26, 2011 8:59 AM in response to alps

Sadly, many of my older apps had to go because there is no replacement for Rosetta (yet). Here is a helpful article that explains what has happened with the phasing out of powerpc support over the past few years:

(July, 2011): http://www.retrotechs.net/?p=1581

The article concludes with a doable workaround that basically calls for a bootable partition.

Hope this helps the others who might be as frantic as I was. Now I'm off to search for replacement software. }:|

PowerPC software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.