Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set F4 Key To Activate LaunchPad?

Is it possible in OS X Lion to program the F4 key on the keyboard to activate LaunchPad? I was trying to do it yesterday, but I couldn't get it to work. F4 kept bringing up the Dashboard instead.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 21.5-inch, Mid 2010, 3.2GHz

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:39 AM

11 replies

Jul 21, 2011 4:44 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Reuben Feffer wrote:

Is it possible in OS X Lion to program the F4 key on the keyboard to activate LaunchPad? I was trying to do it yesterday, but I couldn't get it to work. F4 kept bringing up the Dashboard instead.

The F4 = Dashboard is a function built-in to the keyboard (mine, at least has a symbol). I have not experimented, but you might want to look at system preferences>mission control and system preferences>keyboard to see if something there will help you.

Barry

Jul 21, 2011 4:49 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

The function keys are dual-mode. Picture functions and F-keys. In the default mode, the F-keys use the picture functions. To get an F-key, you must hold down the "fn" key when pressing the function keys.

You can reverse the behavior in the Keyboard System Preferences (Use all F1, F2,...). Then, the opposite is true. F-keys function as F-keys and you must hold down fn to get the picture functions.

Jul 22, 2011 3:29 AM in response to Phil Kim

Well spotted. Apple have actually:

• Replaced the Expose key (F3) with a Mission Control key

• Replaced the Dashboard key (F4) with a Launchpad key

Like you said, I hope they bring this feature to users with keyboards that pre-date the 20th of July 2011, via a simple software update. Even if the pictures on the keys don't match up, it would be nice to be able to use F3 to invoke Mission Control, and F4 to invoke Launchpad.

Jul 31, 2011 11:37 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Personally it doesnt let me assing it to F4 (got the last generation apple wireless keyboard expose - dashboard). but any other keys it does let me.

Going to System preferences >Keyboard > Keyboard shortcurts, Launchpad & Dock category > Show Launchpad click the right side of its field and hit the key you want to assign.

Personally i chose F5 and works with no problems.

Aug 1, 2011 3:28 AM in response to NNe00

@NNe00

Yes, if you have an Apple Wireless Keyboard, the picture keys for F5 and F6 are available for whatever you want. So you could assign Launchpad to F5 and Mission Control to F6, for example.

@Barney-15E

Thanks for recommending that free app called FunctionFlip. Short of Apple issuing a Software Update that solves this problem, FunctionFlip seems like the only way.

Jul 8, 2012 2:12 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

I have the same problem here. I bought my MacBook Air recently and i set the keyboard shortcuts to default and the key has been disabled and the os didn't let me to enable show launchpad.... And i finnaly found the solution : two words - Function Flip (http://kevingessner.com/public/downloads/FunctionFlip/2.2/FunctionFlip.prefPane. zip or if it doesn't work http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/ ). After you install it check the box " f4 : launchpad " , hope this helps you.

Set F4 Key To Activate LaunchPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.