Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 fingers gesture to go forward and back on a webpage

I downloaded Lion and there are new gestures, but how do I swipe 3 fingers to go forward and back on a webpage like we use to do before Lion? I looked in the gesture setting and it doesn't say how we can set this?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:38 AM

7 replies

Jul 21, 2011 5:37 AM in response to Schmitty83

I also noticed this rather important feature missing, and not just for a internet browser, but for the finder as well. I did try the third party application Better Touch Tool, but it is no where near as good as the built in gestures. It needed me to pretty much do a full swipe across the trackpad in order for it to go back a page.

I hope the release an update soon where it allows us to change between Snow Leopard and Lion gestures, I understand how they want to make Macs more like the iPad, but this is ********...

Jul 25, 2011 5:21 AM in response to Schmitty83

Hey there..

U need to enable "Use two or three fingers for back/forward in pages" This way u can use the three fingured back/forward gesture in Finder, Chrome, Safari. The two fingered back/front pages is to switch between pages (which again is stupid, since u already have three fingered for that). It can be demonstrated in Safari. Open google. Search something random and click on any result and keep loading 4 to 5 pages. Then use three fingered gesture to normally go back and forth between pages. Now when u use two fingered back/front it does the same but with "different animation" So basically the two fingered pages is just a pepped up useless version of the existing three fingered gesture.

Also the bug which I found was that. The three fingered back/forth does not work in system preferences unless u do a two fingered back/forth gesture once.

Anyways really wish they add the Expose function of Snow leopard. Also the "show desktop" gesture of three fingers with the thumb is really annoying. The four fingered hide feature minus the thumb was so much useful. Everytime I need to use my thumb for this now. Please fix this apple or atleast give us the option to choose our own gestures.

Oct 2, 2011 7:31 PM in response to deepjaju

Anyways really wish they add the Expose function of Snow leopard. Also the "show desktop" gesture of three fingers with the thumb is really annoying. The four fingered hide feature minus the thumb was so much useful. Everytime I need to use my thumb for this now. Please fix this apple or atleast give us the option to choose our own gestures.

Despite what Deraud above says, Better Touch Tool offers a TON of customization options. Literally any combination of taps, swipes and clicks with whatever number of fingers can be assigned to whatever command you want (key combinations, common functions, etc). I was originally using it under Snow Leopard with a Magic Trackpad on my old Mac, but now I'm using it on Lion and a new MacBook Air and it works spectactularly well. It's stable too.

3 fingers gesture to go forward and back on a webpage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.