Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Windows NT File System(NTFS) format external hard drive work on iMac?

Hi, Guys, recently i bought a 2TB hard drive, i wanted to use on my mac, but when i got home and plug it into mac, only find out it is Windows NT File System, i can't use it on my mac.

Is any possible that i can use it on my mac (like transfer the file system to mac one or something else)? if yes, how ?

Thank you,guys!

Ace

iMac 27'', Mac OS X (10.7), iPhone 3GS,iPad 3G/Wifi 64G, Sony vaio CR

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2017 1:17 AM

The partition part on my DU is disabled please help

8 replies

Jul 21, 2011 7:02 AM in response to ace120809

Yes, you can reformat it in Disk Utility.

In DU, select the external drive in the sidebar (the top item with the makers name and serial no.).

Click the partition tab. Select the partiton from the drop-down above the graphic; 1 partiton normally, but more if you have other plans.

Go to the options button and ensure that the partition scheme is GUID and the file system to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). Name the partiton(s), click Apply.

The new volume(s) will now appear below the drive entry.

That's it done; close DU when the operation's finished and use the drive as you planned.

Sep 8, 2014 8:04 AM in response to noondaywitch

Hi there,

I am about to follow your advice also for the same issue, the worry I have is that when I select partition 1, it says "To erase and partition the selected disk..." and so I am worried that if I do this it will erase the current contents of the hard disk drive (which were copied there from PCs in previous use).

If so, is there a way to use the hard disk drive with a mac without erasing the contents?

Thanks

Sep 8, 2014 8:26 AM in response to djj19

djj19 wrote:

Hi there,

I am about to follow your advice also for the same issue, the worry I have is that when I select partition 1, it says "To erase and partition the selected disk..." and so I am worried that if I do this it will erase the current contents of the hard disk drive (which were copied there from PCs in previous use).

If so, is there a way to use the hard disk drive with a mac without erasing the contents?

Thanks

Your case is different and NO do not partition the EHD yet unless you are prepared to completely erase your PC data. Before progressing though, do you intend to share the EHD with a PC and your Mac? If so this is not advisable but it is possible, however you will need to compromise. Please answer that question first and then we can proceed with some advice.

BTW it's generally not a good idea to ask a question in a thread that has already been answered, particularly one that is 3+ years old! In such a case it's normally better to create your own thread.

Can Windows NT File System(NTFS) format external hard drive work on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.