Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues creating Open Directory Master

Hello,

I tried to update my Mac Mini Server from Snow Leopard to Lion.

Under the installation it told be that "setting up services" failed but I got to login.

I'm guessing that it was the Open Directory that failed and now I cannot convert it to an Open Directory Master.

After entering the diradmins credential I get prompt with:

The hostname does not resolve to any configured address.

Please ensure your hostname and network configuration is correct.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 5:32 AM

19 replies

Jul 28, 2011 6:54 AM in response to oprah_noodlemantra

I had the same issue but here is what you need to do.

The computer creates it's hostname when you first setup the computer. Your new hostname is not the same as the original.

Go to "Server" & under "Hardware" select your server. On the right you need to select the "Network" tab. Here you will see the wrong hostname. Clieck the "edit" button, here you can change/correct the hostname.

Once you have done this you can continue.

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2011 4:05 PM in response to oprah_noodlemantra

Oprah-noodle,

You should still be able to ssh into box. You can then review logs etc and shutdown and reboot.

I had same problem, with partially completed lion install.

I shutdown machine via ssh and then rebooted it with lion install cd.

To do this you need to create a lion install cd and then while VM is starting hold down option key.

The EFI boot menu will come up and you can choose to do cd boot and then fix installation or redo it.

Zebity.

Aug 1, 2011 1:14 AM in response to oprah_noodlemantra

Hi Oprah-Noodle,

the install process should have put a backup of the various directories on the disk under previous system.

The problem with contents of the Open Directory LDAP files is that I am not sure how you read them even if you have the files.

The Open Directory LDAP is "OpenLDAP" and it puts its data in /var/db/openldap/openldap-data

If you are converting an existing "Standalone Directory" to an "Open Directory Master" the process does not migrate existing "Local" accounts into the LDAP, it just creates the LDAP and adds the Directory Admin Account.

So there is not any valuable information in the LDAP per se.

If you have existing user/groups within your local directory then they should be ok.

To move people from Local to LDAP directories is a manual process, that you do after you create your master.

Cheers,

Zebity.

Sep 20, 2011 11:52 AM in response to carter.x

I still can't creat and Open Directory Master. My hostname is correct. I get to a screen where it has Directory Administrator for the name, diradmin for account name, and I put in the password I used to set this machine up and I still get the message about The hostname does not resolve to any configured address. Please ensure your hostname and network configuration."

I don't understand why I should change the host name. It has the same host name as the previous server which is what I want to keep.

Also, in reading the migration manual, my understanding is that the only way to import users and groups while maintining the passwords and such is to do an LDAP archive, which I did. When I try to use server admin on my Lion server and use the archive feature to restore from my LDAP backup, I can't because it will only work for Open Directory masters. I am trying to make my Lion Server an OD master, but can't get anywhere.

The server migration is the worst I've ever seen in setting up a Mac. I just don't know where to go from here. It seems I can't get the OD master to work until I get the hostname resolved but I don't know what that means - resolved to what? It's exactly as I want it - the same host name as my previous server (which is not on the LAN anymore by the way so it can't interfere with this new server).

Oct 7, 2011 7:59 PM in response to Tangier Clarke1

Tangier Clarke1,

In Apple > System Preferences, check to be sure that you have the local IP (i.e. 10.43.101.200) or 127.0.0.1 as one of the DNS servers. When manually setting up the server IP in SL Server, you were able to edit this field directly. Now you need to click on Advanced and add it under the DNS tab. I forgot to add the IP here which lets the server see its self....it resolved my same issue.

Nov 21, 2011 11:03 AM in response to oprah_noodlemantra

The above suggestions are all pertinent, but in my case the DNS was setup correctly, pointing at itself, changeip -checkhostname succeeded, etc, but I still was unable to promote the server to OD Master. The solution in my case was to use Server.app to run the Edit Hostname wizard and select 'Host Name for Internet'.

I had previously (while troubleshooting the issue) run the wizard selecting 'Host Name for Local Network' which did not correct the issue. While this option was technically correct in the wording of the wizard I suspect it actually only works with .local...

Dec 16, 2011 4:09 PM in response to oprah_noodlemantra

I'm not having any luck either. I ran Edit Hostname. I have 127.0.0.1 in my DNS list in Preferences>Network. I also have this:

sh-3.2# changeip -checkhostname

Primary address = 192.168.0.98

Current HostName = mailserver.domain.com

The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

dirserv:success = "success"

Any thoughts??

Having issues creating Open Directory Master

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.