Previous 1 21 22 23 24 25 Next 957 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 1:28 PM by Jonathan Payne1 Go to original post
  • Niek Derksen Level 1 (15 points)

    I'm actually suprised about the Virtual Memory of Flash Player which shows as 16 EB. EB in my eyes can't be anything else than exabyte.

     

    OT: for me the problem is with Safari Web Content which shows extreme values.

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Niek Derksen wrote:

     

    I'm actually suprised about the Virtual Memory of Flash Player which shows as 16 EB. EB in my eyes can't be anything else than exabyte.

     

    OT: for me the problem is with Safari Web Content which shows extreme values.

    If you look at the other Screen Shot though, nothing about Flash Player seems out of the ordinary.

     

    Edit: for slip of the tongue.

  • ColoradoiPodUser Level 1 (0 points)

    I started following this thread from about day one.  I have done the following on my MB with 4GB of memory and my overall performance is as good or better than per Lion.

     

    Replaced both Safari and Firefox with Chrome.

    Applied the new 10.7.1 update (which has no impact on this issue)

     

    On the Activity monitor front my memory generally reports as it did pre-Lion.

     

    Oh I run the following group of apps almost all time:

    Mail

    Chrome

    Word 2011

    Excel 2011

    iCal

    TweetAdder

     

    I think, like many have already said, that the issue is Safari and the way Lion reports and manages memory.

     

    Anyway I'm a happy camper and good luck to everyone

  • Niek Derksen Level 1 (15 points)

    Yes I noticed but I just found it strange.

     

    My MBP has 8GB of ram and Safari just eats it all like it's nothing.. for me a restart of Safari or stopping the proces Safari Web Content helps.

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Niek Derksen wrote:

     

    Yes I noticed but I just found it strange.

     

    My MBP has 8GB of ram and Safari just eats it all like it's nothing.. for me a restart of Safari or stopping the proces Safari Web Content helps.

    Yea, this has been a memory management issue from day one.  Even a guy with 12GB of RAM, was having issues with all Free RAM being engulfed under Lion.

  • michaelmckeever9 Level 1 (5 points)

    A new user acc is helpful aslo. It resets all files.

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    michaelmckeever9 wrote:

     

    A new user acc is helpful aslo. It resets all files.

    Never thought about that.  Not insterested in reinstalling my software, because I have a lot of it packed away in storage right now.  You're saying it gives you a psedo clean install in a way?  I'd just have to move my old Pictures, Video, and Music over.  Not worried about Prefernces being retained, I can reset those later.

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Niek Derksen wrote:

     

    Yes I noticed but I just found it strange.

     

    My MBP has 8GB of ram and Safari just eats it all like it's nothing.. for me a restart of Safari or stopping the proces Safari Web Content helps.

    I'm running Firefox 7b for the time being.  I typically have about 5 tabs open, and memory usage is solid around 350MB with no adverse effects to performance.  Normally, I only use Firefox for ultra secure browsing... but I've made it my main browser until these Safari issues are addressed.  The only downside is no offical Full Screen support yet, and if you use their full screen mode... it takes over the Desktop until you exit that mode.

  • Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,726 points)

    The really great point about trying a new user account is the fact that it allows you to divide the original problem into two parts, user and system.

     

    If the problem is gone in the new account then the problem is in the old account.

     

    If on the other hand the problem exists in the new account then the problem is in the system.

     

    Hence this trick helps to get you looking in the correct direction for the solution to the problem.

     

    Allan

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Allan Eckert wrote:

     

    The really great point about trying a new user account is the fact that it allows you to divide the original problem into two parts, user and system.

     

    If the problem is gone in the new account then the problem is in the old account.

     

    If on the other hand the problem exists in the new account then the problem is in the system.

     

    Hence this trick helps to get you looking in the correct direction for the solution to the problem.

     

    Allan

    I don't understand the folder structure completely under OS X like I do in Windows.  Are we talking about the difference between the System Folder under the root drive and the User Library Folder essentially?  I realize this is probably a simplistic way of putting it, but I'm just trying to see if I understand the overall idea of where the problem may exist.

  • Michelasso Level 1 (80 points)

    mightymilk wrote:

     

    Never thought about that.  Not insterested in reinstalling my software, because I have a lot of it packed away in storage right now.  You're saying it gives you a psedo clean install in a way?  I'd just have to move my old Pictures, Video, and Music over.  Not worried about Prefernces being retained, I can reset those later.

    You achieve exactly the same result moving/deleting your Library folder. To move the Library folder is faster if you use Terminal. Just type:

     

    mv ~/Library ~/Desktop

     

    where ~ is your home directory and reboot. A logout should be sufficient, but better be safe than sorry. Beware that all your personal Preference Panels will be gone in either case. So the Safari extensions and all that kind of little stuff. Apart from that it is a safe procedure.

  • urabus Level 1 (10 points)

    That's pretty cool. I have two questions:

     

    - Is my keychain in said folder? and;

     

    - Is it possible to put your old folder back and re-boot if you'd like your old setup back?

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Michelasso wrote:

     

    mightymilk wrote:

     

    Never thought about that.  Not insterested in reinstalling my software, because I have a lot of it packed away in storage right now.  You're saying it gives you a psedo clean install in a way?  I'd just have to move my old Pictures, Video, and Music over.  Not worried about Prefernces being retained, I can reset those later.

    You achieve exactly the same result moving/deleting your Library folder. To move the Library folder is faster if you use Terminal. Just type:

     

    mv ~/Library ~/Desktop

     

    where ~ is your home directory and reboot. A logout should be sufficient, but better be safe than sorry. Beware that all your personal Preference Panels will be gone in either case. So the Safari extensions and all that kind of little stuff. Apart from that it is a safe procedure.

     

    I'm getting a Permission Denied when trying to do this.  Do I need another command from the Terminal, I'm the only User/Admin on this computer.

  • Michelasso Level 1 (80 points)

    mightymilk wrote:

     

    I don't understand the folder structure completely under OS X like I do in Windows.  Are we talking about the difference between the System Folder under the root drive and the User Library Folder essentially?  I realize this is probably a simplistic way of putting it, but I'm just trying to see if I understand the overall idea of where the problem may exist.

    When, simplifying a lot there are 3 levels Libraries:

     

    2. ~/Library: The user library. All your settings, preference panels, browser extensions, history, etc. etc. are stored there

    1. /Library: The library for applications

    0. /System/Library: The operative system library

     

    One can mess up the first one without much damage. In the worst case one just needs to boot in single user and from the root prompt delete it. So as I wrote in my previous post it would be just like having created a new user account still keeping all documents.

     

    To touch the other 2 is obviously strongly not suggested unless one really knows what s/he is doing.

  • mightymilk Level 1 (20 points)

    Michelasso wrote:

     

    mightymilk wrote:

     

    I don't understand the folder structure completely under OS X like I do in Windows.  Are we talking about the difference between the System Folder under the root drive and the User Library Folder essentially?  I realize this is probably a simplistic way of putting it, but I'm just trying to see if I understand the overall idea of where the problem may exist.

    When, simplifying a lot there are 3 levels Libraries:

     

    2. ~/Library: The user library. All your settings, preference panels, browser extensions, history, etc. etc. are stored there

    1. /Library: The library for applications

    0. /System/Library: The operative system library

     

    One can mess up the first one without much damage. In the worst case one just needs to boot in single user and from the root prompt delete it. So as I wrote in my previous post it would be just like having created a new user account still keeping all documents.

     

    To touch the other 2 is obviously strongly not suggested unless one really knows what s/he is doing.

     

    Thanks that clears it up.  I assumed the System Library was strictly OS X.  But I wasn't sure which items were stored in the User Library vs. the Root Library.

Previous 1 21 22 23 24 25 Next