Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Id

Hi, today i tried to buy Lion OSX but when login prompt is appeared, in "Apple ID" field I found this : atthegeek@gmail.com and not my apple id.

What's append?

This is a trojan? A virus?

Help me please!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Virus or trojan?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 6:39 AM

15 replies

Aug 25, 2011 1:06 PM in response to marco madu84

Hey, I just noticed that I hade the same problem when using the app store, I had already purchased OS X Lion through the app store, when I went into my purchases it had an update button next to my purchased Lion file, when I pressed it I was prompted to enter the password for "atthegeek@gmail.com" account as well... the exact message was:

You have updates available for other

accounts

Sign in to atthegeek@gmail.com to update

applications for that account.

Also very concerned if this is some form of malware, trojan, DNS attack, virus, etc...

Please, anyone who can provide us with some information about this and how to remove/clear up the problem ASAP it would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 29, 2011 2:44 PM in response to roadnorth

I figured out this method for tracking them down;

Finding a pirated app

All MAS apps have a MAS receipt in their app bundle. Check any app acquired from the MAS. Right click on the app's icon in your Apps folder and choose Show package contents. In the Contents folder is a _MASReceipt folder and in that folder is the coded MAS receipt. It has the Apple ID of the MAS account that bought/acquired the app from the MAS. It is that receipt that the MAS uses to alert you that an app has an update. There would not be a notice of an update with someone else's Apple ID showing in the MAS on your Mac, if there was not an app with a receipt from this person's account somewhere on your Mac.

Download the free app FindAnyFile (FAF);

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

This app is easier to use and seems to be more powerful than Spotlight. Open FAF and in the box type _MASReceipt and press Find. It should come up with a list of every app on the Mac with a MAS receipt. Compare the apps with receipts in FAF's list with your purchased apps list in the Mac App Store. The odd app out should be the pirated app.

Oct 11, 2011 3:08 PM in response to Dah•veed

Dah*veed,

I am also getting the atthegeek@gmail.com username in my App Store login bar and it is preventing me from buying Lion with my own user name. I have downloaded the search app that you suggested. I have never bought anything from the AppStore before so nothing shows in my Purchased list. When I ran FAF, no _MASReceipt files were found and I have not pirated anything on my Mac ever. Any other thoughts?

Nov 19, 2011 12:39 AM in response to Dah•veed

You are my hero for today.

And just to inform everyone here with a "holier-than-thou"-attitude: I am not running any pirated software and still got this message in the App Store. Want to know why? Because I attached a customer's external hard drive that happened to contain a download of a leaked Lion beta. Just a download, not even an install.

If you use your Mac intensively, this could easily happen to you even if you keep your Mac pirate-free.

Apple Id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.