Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse scrolls in reverse/backwards

just installed lion and updated successfully- however, magic mouse is scrolling backwards= up goes down and down goes up... anyone have a resolve? i've unpaired the mouse, restarted the computer, and unfortunately, there's not much options in mouse system preferences.

thanks!

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 6:46 AM

10 replies

Jul 21, 2011 7:16 AM in response to scrappx

scrappx wrote:

thanks for the help 🙂

weird how that natural movement selection got it backwards ;(

Some "social re-engineering" on Apple's part--the theory is the natural method works in the same direction on the trackpad as you would gesture on the screen of an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. I haven't changed mine from the default, natural method yet, as I decided to give it a fair chance. That said, natural does feel "backwards" and that's a setting that is not going to grow on me, I think.

Aug 8, 2011 8:28 PM in response to Paul S in TX

It's going to take a little time to retrain the brain, but the "reversed" direction is actually the correct direction. It actually reflects what the page is doing. Swipe up and the page moves up. I think I'll stick with it for a month to see if it sticks. I remember reading somewhere that if you do something for 22 days straight it becomes habit. I'm not sure how true that is, but I can see it's going to take longer than a couple of hours to undo 13 years of backwards scrolling.

It helps if you think about what the page is doing and not the scroll bar on the right.

Aug 8, 2011 8:43 PM in response to nelol

nelol wrote:

It's going to take a little time to retrain the brain, but the "reversed" direction is actually the correct direction.

It's "correct" according to Apple, today.

On most Windows PCs and other operating systems, like Solaris, Linux, and other UNIX varients, by default the scroll wheel on a mouse operates the way Mac OS X used to, where the motion of the scroll wheel controls the motion of the scroll bar rather than the page (e.g. scrolling the wheel up moves the scroll bar up, moving the page down.)

The new motion is based on what you do in iOS, where you scroll down by dragging the page down, and Apple is trying to get you to operate the scroll wheel or trackpad as if you were dragging the document on a touch screen like the iPhone or iPad.

Dec 17, 2012 9:50 PM in response to scrappx

And even though now the scrolling is reverse, the track pad and mouse surface movements are locked to the same control.

I prefer to have the scrolling "un-natural" and the track pad "natural", so I am screwed with this setup. There should be entirely seperate controls for the magic mouse, vertical scrolling separate from horizontal scrolling.

Why are there so many new changes that effect years of doing things one way and now something completely different? Do they think we like this?

Jan 6, 2014 10:23 AM in response to nelol

I'm an Apple fan and all, but one thing strikes me as odd here. If it's so "natural" for the page scrolling to move in the same direction as my fingers on the trackpad, then why doesn't the same logic apply apply to two-finger sliding back and forth (left and right) between webpages? There's isn't even any such option I see in Trackpad preferences. Furthermore, iOS devices don't let you two-finger swipe back/forth between webpages at all.

Thanks

magic mouse scrolls in reverse/backwards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.