Previous 1 71 72 73 74 75 Next 2,725 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 6:55 AM by Nickofari Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • di1in Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    BTW today I've experienced a slight improvement in battery performance, even though I couldn't do the usual test (Safari and mail.app only). I had the "feeling" it was lasting longer than before doing some work (VNC, editing documents in Pages, networking etc.) which had my system also switch between discrete GPU and Integrated GPU. As said it's just a "feeling", there's no evidence from a real test of a battery life improvement. This was after letting the battery full discharge* and full recharge.

     

    *letting the system hybernate and waiting a few hours that also the last battery charge would be gone.

     

    Message was edited by: Rayced

    And that is Battery Calibration. You were all against it yesterday when I'd suggested it.

     

    Hope it helped you out.

  • Malego Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    What about location services? Could they be the ones responsible for affecting the battery also during sleep?

     

    By the way, how do the location and triangulation work on Lion MacBook Pro's, being there no GPS?

  • Redarm Level 4 Level 4 (2,580 points)

    Malego wrote:

     

    What about location services? Could they be the ones responsible for affecting the battery also during sleep?

     

    By the way, how do the location and triangulation work on Lion MacBook Pro's, being there no GPS?

    With wireless off?

     

    You answered your own question already: triangulation.  You need more than one wireless network (I don't know whether two will do, but one is not enough - could never find my Mac when I was in a remote area with only my connection)

  • William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,890 points)

    Ironically those experiencing this issue now see exactly why Apple was concerned about Flash on iOS. even if Adobe ever actually got it to work.

  • Bob Jacobson Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)

    Article from last week on eWeek, seen in other trades, too:

     

    "Apple Admits iOS 5 Battery Issues for Some Users, Issuing Fix"

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-Admits-iOS-5-Battery-Issues-f or-Some-Users-Issuing-Fix-205770/

     

    Apple has admitted that some users of iOS 5 devices are experiencing battery life issues. It has apparently included a fix in the iOS 5.0.1 beta issued to developers.

     

    Apple acknowledged a “few bugs” affecting the battery life of some iOS 5 devices, confirming earlier reports by users around the world.

     

    “A small number of customers have reported lower thanexpected battery life on iOS 5 devices,” Apple wrote in a Nov. 2 statement to AllThingsD.“We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release asoftware update to address those in a few weeks.”

     

    I'm not saying that an iPhone or iPad "bug" or two or a half-dozen migrated into and contaminated the Lion OS; but they could have.

     

    This could all be something very concrete, that just needs a name and official recognition in Cupertino.

     

    FYI, here's the rest of the article:

     

    According to the blog MacRumors,the iOS 5.0.1 beta issued to developers Nov. 2 (build 9A402) includes the fixfor the battery-life bugs. It also adds multitasking gestures to the originaliPad, boosts operating system secruity and repairs issues associated with Documents in the Cloud. 

     

    Reports of battery issues with iOS 5 erupted on the Web afew days ago. By Oct. 28, a discussion thread on Apple’s Website had filled with users irate over their iPhone 4S battery life. “I checked and all my settings are similar to my iPhone 4 (i.e.,Bluetooth and ping off, brightness pretty low, etc.),” one wrote. “Seems to lose 1 percent every 3-4 minutes, even when locked/asleep.” Others on the thread reported battery drain approaching 15 to 20 percent per hour.

     

    In broadest strokes — i.e., confused users, rumors of Apple engineers pursuing a software fix, intense media scrutiny—the situation with the iPhone 4S recalls that of the iPhone 4, whose blockbuster release in 2010 was nonetheless marred by reports of dropped calls whenever users gripped the device in a certain way with bare hands.

     

    In the latter situation, however, it took Apple far longer to cobble together a solution, namely issuing free rubber bumpers to iPhone 4owners. The bumpers blocked the device’s exterior antenna rim from skin contact, resolving the issue. After maintaining that program for a few months following the iPhone 4’s release, Apple abruptly shut down the whole issue with a note on its Website. In the end, it ended up paying out some $175 million in bumpers.

     

    Based solely on this incident with the iOS 5 battery life, damage control under new CEO Tim Cook seems remarkably similar to that of departed leader Steve Jobs : admit to a problem in a relatively low-key way, quickly issue a fix, and move on.

     

    Seems like iPhone users get Apple's attention a lot quicker than Mac users.  What's wrong with this picture?

  • Redarm Level 4 Level 4 (2,580 points)

    I can't see the irony in there.  What are you saying?  The 1% of CPU usage and 40MB of Real Memory makes the battery drain?  Did you actually read the thread?  Many, if not most, have actually turned off Flash and other 3rd party processes to do tests.

    So what's your point?

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    di1in wrote:

     

    Rayced wrote:

     

    BTW today I've experienced a slight improvement in battery performance, even though I couldn't do the usual test (Safari and mail.app only). I had the "feeling" it was lasting longer than before doing some work (VNC, editing documents in Pages, networking etc.) which had my system also switch between discrete GPU and Integrated GPU. As said it's just a "feeling", there's no evidence from a real test of a battery life improvement. This was after letting the battery full discharge* and full recharge.

     

    *letting the system hybernate and waiting a few hours that also the last battery charge would be gone.

     

    Message was edited by: Rayced

    And that is Battery Calibration. You were all against it yesterday when I'd suggested it.

     

    Hope it helped you out.

     

    Hey come on yesterday I wrote I was going to do that despite I didn't agree.

     

    BTW I said I had a "feeling" of a longer battery life. Remember the "placebo" and the dhiarrea metaphor? LOL!

     

    I'm gonna test it out as soon as possibe (I am already using the laptop only with Safari and mail.app minimized).

    Stay tuned.

     

    Message was edited by: Rayced

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    William Kucharski wrote:

     

    Ironically those experiencing this issue now see exactly why Apple was concerned about Flash on iOS. even if Adobe ever actually got it to work.

     

    As already said about 50 times here: FLASH PLAYER IS NOT INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM.

  • Franc_Iphone Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Whow, I just went to new york times homes page and BAM, the fan in my MacBook Pro took off like a rocket ship. Might have been a coincidence but it was Flash. Anyone else want to try. Just go to the home page which doesn't require a subscription...

     

    I have been sitting here all morning and it's been fine... Ouch...

  • DrChandra Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Greetings from SL 10.6.6 - battery life is awesome as you can see. 5 bars brightness, Skype, 4 tabs in chrome etc... Lion users get readings like this probably only 4 minutes after full charge!

    Screen shot 2011-11-08 at 7.23.46 AM.png Screen shot 2011-11-08 at 7.37.32 AM.png

    I gave up on trying to fix Lion battery life, pure waist of time. If you have a chance read Steve Jobs biography and you may get the answer why we have Flash issue!

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    DrChandra wrote:

     

    Greetings from SL 10.6.6 - battery life is awesome as you can see. 5 bars brightness, Skype, 4 tabs in chrome etc... Lion users get readings like this probably only 4 minutes after full charge!

    Screen shot 2011-11-08 at 7.23.46 AM.png Screen shot 2011-11-08 at 7.37.32 AM.png

    I gave up on trying to fix Lion battery life, pure waist of time. If you have a chance read Steve Jobs biography and you may get the answer why we have Flash issue!

     

    Actually I've had these readings today and now I'm having a "stable" estimate time of about 6:05 hrs with a 92% of battery charge on Lion.

    The matter is if the estimate is gonna be right or if —as usually happens— I'm gonna get around 4 hrs and 30 minutes of real battery life.

     

    I'm only using Safari to browse the web and mail.app minimized. Screen is at 50% luminosity and keyboard too is at 50% luminosity.

     

    Can you tell us if your system estimate will match real battery life with that usage (flash, skype etc.) under SL?

    Moreover can you also provide a reading of the fan speed?

     

    Thanks.

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Franc_Iphone wrote:

     

    Whow, I just went to new york times homes page and BAM, the fan in my MacBook Pro took off like a rocket ship. Might have been a coincidence but it was Flash. Anyone else want to try. Just go to the home page which doesn't require a subscription...

     

    I have been sitting here all morning and it's been fine... Ouch...

     

    That's weird. I still use flash player under SL on my iMac and with the latest versions I've never experienced such a bad cpu usage as it used to be with older versions.

    Have you tried to install the new beta version?

  • lesliefromstockton-on-tees Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    Well, just finished 4.5hrs of work in Excel and Word, Internet and email on battery, not on my Macbook Pro running Lion but my HP 6930P running Windows XP!!  Apple this is silly, you are being out performed in terms of battery by PCs!  Has anyone seen Apple register that there is an issue with the Macbook Pro?

     

    Max I am getting having tried everything is still 2 to 2.5hrs!

  • lesliefromstockton-on-tees Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    Can they be qestioned on their website claims?  What a load of tosh!

     

    A long-lasting battery. Charge less. Do more.

    The new MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. And that’s with more powerful processors and faster graphics. An energy-efficient processor architecture with an integrated video encoder, along with automatic graphics switching in the 15- and 17-inch models, all help improve battery life. So you can expect to surf the web wirelessly for up to 7 hours on a single charge. Or take your entire creative studio on the road for live performances or a location shoot. Advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging give you up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles — nearly three times the lifespan of typical notebook batteries. And because the MacBook Pro battery lasts up to five years, MacBook Pro uses just one battery in the same time a typical notebook uses three. That’s better for you and for the environment.

     


    up to 7 hrs wireless web

     

    Apple is using a new, more rigorous battery test that measures the results you can expect in the real world — like surfing your favorite sites in a coffee shop or catching up on the latest web videos. Even using this new test, MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. For your real life.

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    I'm getting a slightly better performance after recalibrating the battery.

    I got 5 hours usage in my last test and battery still has 20% of charge. Altough this time I haven't ever a video playing for the whole session. I'm putting it to sleep after log out to check if it'll lose that much as it used to.

Previous 1 71 72 73 74 75 Next