Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore classic view address book

Not a fan of the tricksy Address Book UI but I thought I was saved by discovering that you could switch into classic view if you enable the debug menu.

There are screen grabs online showing it when Lion was in Beta. Apple in the wisdom seem to have killed it as it is now not there.

Is there any way to get this working now?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:06 AM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2011 2:58 PM in response to simon critchley

I'm with you Simon.

Why did they remove the option? We know it was there!!!

If anything they should have just moved it from the Debug menu into Preferences!

I'm baffled as to way Apple is taking these gigantic backward steps in usability with some of their apps… ??? I really don't like having to take all these extra steps to view info that was once right there in plain sight. (The same goes for iCal since Leopard, but even more so now in LION.)

What purpose was there to change it? Just to make it look like a real book for Grandma? If I wanted a real paper address book I wouldn't be using a modern computer OS!!!

Sep 2, 2011 7:16 PM in response to simon critchley

Agree 100% - as a Mac user since 1989, I'm stunned at the incredible step backwards Address Book and iCal took with Lion.

Designing software to look like real world hardware objects was a terrible idea in the 1990s when Sony and IBM tried it and failed (anyone remember the Sony MagicLink PDA with Magic Cap UI? The IBM realphone UI that had all of the drawbacks of a physical phone with none of the benefits of a graphical UI?).

Ironically the new UI of both Address Book and Calendar comes out just as the following Steve Jobs quote from 2006 is getting a lot of press thanks to this Wall Street Journal article.

“Look at the design of a lot of consumer products — they’re really complicated surfaces. We tried to make something much more holistic and simple. When you first start off trying to solve a problem, the first solutions you come up with are very complex, and most people stop there. But if you keep going, and live with the problem and peel more layers of the onion off, you can often times arrive at some very elegant and simple solutions. Most people just don’t put in the time or energy to get there. We believe that customers are smart, and want objects which are well thought through.” [MSNBC and Newsweek interview, Oct. 14, 2006]

The best way to provide to Apple is through their feedback site:

Here is the OSX feedback link.

How do I restore classic view address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.