Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange mouse response in iTunes 10.4

Since the last iTunes update (to version 10.4), iTunes reacts strangely to my mouse. I use a cheap Logitech mouse with the standard drivers.

Only in iTunes any slow scrolling will not be registered at all, only when I turn the scroll wheel really fast. This is very annoying because I like to use CoverFlow to scroll through my music collection. As the mouse response is at the moment, it is impossible for me to scroll exactly one album forward or backward.

Before the update, scrolling one album on was exactly one catch of the mouse wheel.

The problem is not with my mouse, in Safari, Firefox, Finder and all other programs even the smallest scroll movement is registered.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any workaround?

Thanks in advance

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:31 AM

15 replies

Jul 21, 2011 3:22 PM in response to matt-p_b

With the mighty mouse, scrolling in cover flow was WAY too slick/fast, so I think they changed the acceleration - but now people using non-apple mouses (you and me) are experiencing difficulty bc you have to do it at a certain speed to get cover flow to move.

Or, like Manny suggested, we're being strongarmed into trackpads, haha.

Either way, this needs to be legit fixed. I see nothing in itunes prefs nor system prefs that's of any help.

Jul 25, 2011 7:44 PM in response to matt-p_b

macbook, early 2008, trackpad. The coverflow scrolling in iTunes is so fast, I can't go an album at a time without the most cautious little movements. In the new Finder "all my files", it is impossible to scroll slow enough to be useful. I have played with the trackpad tracking and scrolling settings, but setting them to try to correct this makes ordinary tracking entirely too slow, and still, too fast in coverflow.

It isn't just people with mice with the problem.

Jul 26, 2011 7:27 PM in response to wjtaggart

@wjtaggart - That's kind of opposite of the problem that we're having. Previously, one 'tick' of my mousewheel moved one album. Now it does nothing, and you have to go kind of at a fast speed to get the albums to slide by (moving a lot to get something to happen at all vs. tiny movements for you). Did your issue just start since updating itunes to 10.4? I'd think your problem would be fixed in this version.

Jul 26, 2011 8:27 PM in response to ouchmyappendix

yeah, it would help if I could read. I registered the "not able to do one album at a time" which is in common with my issue, but the symptom otherwise is counter to this discussion, entirely.

Sorry for the interrruption. As to your question, coverflow in iTunes has always been difficult, not new in Lion. Why I posted is the default coverflow setup in Lion of the "all my files" entry, the finder default on open. I can't set anything slow enough to make it usable, so I was looking for discussions re coverflow and found this one.

Again, sorry.

Bill

Aug 1, 2011 5:49 PM in response to ouchmyappendix

Apple has applied accelerated scrolling to all their apps in Lion 10.7, including the Finder, Safari 5.1, iTunes 10.4, etc. It also affects those who haven't upgraded to Lion, but have upgraded iTunes and Safari.

Prior to that, all scrolling responses were linear, including iTunes 10.3 and older.

It works fine for the most part in everything else, but for whatever reason, they badly botched the settings in iTunes 10.4, which has crippled scrolling for those who use mice.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I doubt that it was intentional. I think it's due more to myopia. In Apple's view, everyone is now using a trackpad or Magic Mouse/Trackpad, right?

I'm curious as to whether the Windows version of iTunes is similarly affected. I'm sure the proportion of mice users on that side is still much higher.

Anyway, I've left feedback, and I encourage others to as well.

Aug 5, 2011 1:41 PM in response to Apple ][ Forever

Same problem here, using a wireless Logitech trackball.

Scrolling my mousewheel one "notch" at a time doesn't do anything in the latest iTunes (10.4). If I scroll quickly, I can move through lists of songs or albums in coverflow, but not slowly.

Pretty annoying... where should I submit feedback on this directly to Apple? Is there a bug report or something that I can "me too" on?

Note that I'm still on Snow Leopard, and this doesn't seem to affect any other apps. Started when I downloaded the latest iTunes version.

Thanks

Strange mouse response in iTunes 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.