Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem updating 10.6.8 SWUpdate server to host Lion updates

Anyone else having problems following the directions in KB article "Mac OS X Server v10.6: Hosting Software Updates for OS X Lion or Lion Server" <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4771?viewlocale=en_US>?

It's basically modifying a plist and a conf file, but when I look at MY .conf file I don't find the specified text to change? I've even checked the previous version of the file, and don't find the text.

TFA says:

In step 5, you will need root access to update the file /etc/swupd/swupd.conf. To be safe, make a backup copy of the file before editing it. Locate the following line near the end of the file:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/11

Edit the following line to read:

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

But I'm not finding either of these lines in my own file.

Anyone have luck with this? Anyone run into the same issue?

TIA for any help!

-Nick

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:40 AM

I have a similar configuration to what you've found; those entries do not exist on the 10.6.8 Snow Leopard Server box I checked.

It looks that there's been an update to the file, but the running version did not get changed.

I did some digging and found a copy of the file here:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SUServer.framework/Versions/A/Resources/swupd. conf

And that version of the file does have the lines discussed in HT4771.

I have not tested this: make a backup of your disk before you try this, then see if following the same steps from TS3867 (for 10.7 there, but I'd try the same sequence on 10.6) fixes this; if this gets you the ("new") versions of the files extracted from the resources directory.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2011 10:40 AM in response to Nick Lewis

I have a similar configuration to what you've found; those entries do not exist on the 10.6.8 Snow Leopard Server box I checked.

It looks that there's been an update to the file, but the running version did not get changed.

I did some digging and found a copy of the file here:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SUServer.framework/Versions/A/Resources/swupd. conf

And that version of the file does have the lines discussed in HT4771.

I have not tested this: make a backup of your disk before you try this, then see if following the same steps from TS3867 (for 10.7 there, but I'd try the same sequence on 10.6) fixes this; if this gets you the ("new") versions of the files extracted from the resources directory.

Jul 29, 2011 2:43 AM in response to Nick Lewis

I found the exact same section was missing from my /etc/swupd/swupd.conf file. But after shutting down the SUS and editing swupd.plist as instructed in Article: HT4771, I simply restarted the SUS and then discovered that the missing section had been added automatically so that it can now be edited as instructed.

This is better than deleting the 2 files since I believe that requires re-configuring the SUS.

Jul 29, 2011 4:29 AM in response to UKenGB

Hi UKenGB, could you show me what's in your file swupd.conf after you edited it as instructed in article HT4771.

Mine is like that :

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/9

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/10

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/11

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

</IfModule>

I'm wondering if it's ok or not ?

Thanx very much

Jul 29, 2011 8:09 AM in response to UKenGB

How do you include "Lion" in the rule for Darwin/11 ?

Is it step N° 4 ?

I've updated the swupd.plist file as mentionned in HT4771.

The server has downloaded some new update.

I've also pointed my client with "lion" to my server 10.6.8 and it doesn't seems to works.

When i try to update my "Lion" client, it says i have no network connection but I know I have one.

Thanx again for your help.

Jul 29, 2011 11:36 AM in response to Laurent Cole

Laurent Cole wrote:

How do you include "Lion" in the rule for Darwin/11 ?

You've already done it as per HT4771. The rule for Darwin/11 indicates Lion is included so you have it exactly as it should be.

If you have also modified swupd.plist as per the same article then the server should work fro Lion updates.

Have you configured your Lion client to use your own SUS? Kinda looks like that setting is not correct.

Jul 29, 2011 2:50 PM in response to UKenGB

The swupd.plist file is like that :

<key>otherCatalogs</key>

<array>

<string>index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>

<string>index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>

<string>index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>

</array>

The Lion client is pointed to my SUS that way :

sudo write defaults /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate Catalog URL http://"my server and domain name":8088/index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

DNS and configuration are the same as before I updated the client from SnowLeopard to Lion.

I don't understand why it doesn't work !

Jul 30, 2011 3:20 AM in response to Laurent Cole

I'm afraid I'm not sure either. Enter the URL to the sucatalog in Safari and see what happens. IOW, enter:-

http://"your server and domain name":8088/index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

does it display the catalog page (hardly readable XML)?

Try just:-

http://"your server and domain name":8088/index.sucatalog

or indeed

http://"your server and domain name":8088/index"anything at all".sucatalog

they should all return the exact same page. That indicates the re-writing is being done correctly and that the SUS is working as it should. In which case, the problem must lie elsewhere, but I'm stumped at the moment.

Jul 30, 2011 9:31 AM in response to Nick Lewis

Hmm, I'm having more of a problem now. Having re-started SUS, /etc/swupd/swupd.conf contains the required lines, so I stopped SUS again, edited swupd.conf as indicated and restarted SUS. All seems good, except when I checked back, swupd.conf has reverted back to how it was prior to my edit. IOW, the rewrite rules etc are there, but Darwin/10 and Darwin/11 are identical again with no mention of lion.

I've repeatedly edited the file, but every time SUS starts, it reverts the file. The swupd.conf.previous file actually contains the correct line, so looks like every time SUS starts it copies swupd.conf to swupd.conf.previous, but then creates a new swupd.conf based on something else.

I also edited /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SUServer.framework/Versions/A/Resources/swupd . conf to contain the correct line, but although it does seem to be retained, it doesn't help and /etc/swupd/swupd.conf ALWAYS reverts to the old incorrect line.

So, how worrying is this that Apple's own technical article on this subject is now wrong on 2 counts. First of all, swupd.conf is likely to initially not contain the line they are instructing us to modify and then if it does (because SUS has been restarted since they issued some update) editing the file is UTTERLY USELESS since starting SUS again just reverts the file. Sometimes I despair.

Anyway, SUS is obviously obtaining the file from somewhere else and writing /etc/swupd/swupd.conf on every start. So where is it getting it from? I cannot find any other instance of swupd.conf, so it's extracting it from something else. Anyone any idea where?

Jul 30, 2011 10:38 AM in response to UKenGB

SUS is shut down.

I edited the swupd.conf and swupd.plist in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SUServer.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

like in HT4771.

Restarted the computer.

Edited the swupd.conf and swupd.plist in /etc/swupd as recommanded by Apple in HT4771.

Restarted the SUS

Waited for new dowloads to be finished.

Checked in /var/db/swupd/html/content/catalogs/others

There should be 5 files regarding SL, 5 files regarding Leopard and 5 files regarding Lion.

I haven't stopped and restarted the SUS yet cause it's working for now.

I'll keep you informed if the files change when I stop and restart the SUS.

Hope this could help you.

Problem updating 10.6.8 SWUpdate server to host Lion updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.