Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set Spotlight to give Dictionary Definitions after the Top Hit Entry?

In Snow Leopard when looking at something in Spotlight, after the Top Hit Entry there was the Dictionary Definition. Now I installed Lion and the Definition (or Look Up) entry is at bottom.

How can I change Spotlight Preferences in order to return the Dictionary Definition after the Top Hit (At the very first entries?)

Tried to change the Spotlight Preference in the System Preferences Panel, but there isn't any Dictionary Entry...

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:41 AM

This is something I have also found disappointing. I have found it so useful in the past to jump quickly to the dictionary or thesaurus from spotlight.

The best way I have found in Lion is to type "dic" into spotlight, ironic I know, which will bring up the dictionary.

This way the key combination is: command-space -> dic -> (word to lookup).

The one advantage of this way over the old way is that by typing into the Dictionary app it does a lookup while you type which is very useful if you are a little unsure of the spelling.

Cheers.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2011 4:41 AM in response to antares190

This is something I have also found disappointing. I have found it so useful in the past to jump quickly to the dictionary or thesaurus from spotlight.

The best way I have found in Lion is to type "dic" into spotlight, ironic I know, which will bring up the dictionary.

This way the key combination is: command-space -> dic -> (word to lookup).

The one advantage of this way over the old way is that by typing into the Dictionary app it does a lookup while you type which is very useful if you are a little unsure of the spelling.

Cheers.

Oct 25, 2011 10:35 AM in response to antares190

Agreed! I LOVED how it was in Snow Leopard.

I used this feature for a THESAURUS dozens of times a day, for I'm a writer.

It was beautiful - Command-Space, type in word, then hit "down arrow" and dictionary would open.

Now, I have to lift up my hand and use the mouse to find my thesaurus result ALL the way at the bottom.

( I know - big problem, right?)

Yet I don't understand the trade-off. What are we gaining by putting the dictionary at the bottom?

Well, I have a temporary solution: after you've typed the word in question using an Apple program such as Mail or TextEdit, hit the arrow key back twice so the cursor is inside the word. Hit "Command-Control-D" then let go quickly. The dictionary/thesaurus pops up right there.

Nov 1, 2011 12:24 PM in response to antares190

Want to jump in and say I agree with everyone here about the Spotlight dictionary.

It seems to me that Apple went kind of nuts with the changes for change's sake in Lion. There's just a whole heap of silly little things like this.

I know that one of the things Apple deliberately built into the user experience in the past was to include all sorts of unannounced tweaks that you would quietly discover as you worked and suddenly feel a moment of joy about the OS. However, Apple seems to have reveresed this policy with Lion, since I've had none of that this time, but I have had a whole slew of "why the !@#* is it doing that?!" I feel like I'm back using Windows trying to work around the OS.

Nov 16, 2011 6:11 AM in response to antares190

+1 on behalf of people annoyed with the new order in which Dictionary results show up at the bottom of a Spotlight search. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just include the Dictionary in the list of types of results in the Spotlight Preference Pane, so we could at least customize the location of the dictionary results.

Dec 4, 2011 8:39 PM in response to antares190

I'm looking into a way to modify Spotlight's item order by messing with its preferences file, but in the meantime I found one helpful shortcut:

Type one Control-DownArrow to go to the bottom, then three UpArrows to get to "Look Up."

I'll post more if I can find an effective .plist or defaults entry, otherwise assume it's not that simple to change.

Dec 27, 2011 11:50 AM in response to antares190

I agree. Another step BACK in the Lion OS. I hope they read these posts...but you have to wonder, when some tech person comes up with an "improvement" like this and they put it on the table, what IS the decision process? It just seems like a little customer check in would have avoided this. Using Spotlight for quick Dictionary access is (was) my most frequent and useful shortcut.

set Spotlight to give Dictionary Definitions after the Top Hit Entry?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.