Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview crash after Lion install!

Preview crashes at start(everytime) after I intalled Lion, any idears?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:14 AM

27 replies

Jul 21, 2011 10:15 PM in response to klas-erik

The fix. . .

The problem is a Permissions problem. All you have to do is:

1. Right click on the root /Library Folder and selct 'Get Info'

2. Unlock the pad lock in the lower right hand corner.

3. Click on the + symbol to add a user.

4. When prompt add the 'root user'.

5. Give the root user Read/Write privaledges.

6. Lock the pad lock and open Preview.

🙂This worked for me and I hope it works for you to!🙂

Jul 24, 2011 2:03 PM in response to VAHomebrew81

I had this same problem, and the solution was ultimately what Silvertoe was saying, but I on mine I needed to get a little more involved. I needed to use the terminal app to access my list of folders and using the reference site ( http://ss64.com/osx/ls.html ) I used the "ls -lag" command to loog at my user's list of folders. The folders were listed in the wheel group, (which is the group of the root user, and even though you are an admin user, you are not in this group) you need to use the "sudo" command to "chgrp" to change the group membership of the folders - after cleaning up these items I was able to correct the permissions, to get my users Library to show up, and get the text and preview apps to create the container file in the container folder in the Library folder so they would work - def took me a lot of messing around - good luck and be careful messing around in the terminal

Jul 24, 2011 2:15 PM in response to klas-erik

I had the same issue. I fixed it by deleting the preferences file for Preview. You find it in the Preferences folder in the system Library. However, under Lion you now must first make the Library visible. Many posts about how to do this; but I don't remember the instructions. Why they chose to hide the Library under Lion is another head scratcher for me. In any event, preference files can be safely deleted - a new one is created when you launch the app.

Me - this was just one of many glitches on top of a new OS that didn't really do anything new. So I'm very happily back on SL.

Jul 27, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Silvertoe

Silvertoe wrote:

The fix. . .

The problem is a Permissions problem. All you have to do is:

1. Right click on the root /Library Folder and selct 'Get Info'

2. Unlock the pad lock in the lower right hand corner.

3. Click on the + symbol to add a user.

4. When prompt add the 'root user'.

5. Give the root user Read/Write privaledges.

6. Lock the pad lock and open Preview.

🙂This worked for me and I hope it works for you to!🙂

I think you missed one step. You need to also apply the privileges to the user you have modified - the gear to the left of the padlock has a drop down choice - "apply to enclosed items" is the final action.

Sep 8, 2011 9:16 PM in response to klas-erik

Solution was very simple:

If you have a symbolic link somewhere in the path that Preview looks for, say ~/Downloads, this causes the app to crash! Removing the symbolic ink and creating a real directory fixes the problem.

It might be a good idea for people to run Disk Utility "verify permissions" too. You might actually want for it to fix any permissions problems you might have.

Hope that helps.

Sep 15, 2011 10:56 AM in response to klas-erik

None of the solutions work for me, using Lion (10.7.1).

Also, I think the permissions method has changed since the last version of OS X - as some of the items in the tip aren't accessible.

Changing permissions didn't work.

Deleting preferences didn't work.

Opening in 32-bit mode didn't work.

I wonder if it's actually Preview or if it might be the printer dialogue since it only crashes, for me, when I try to print.

Sep 16, 2011 8:17 PM in response to pnealey

Thanks, pnealey! The "Containers" suggestion was very helpful and worked for me. Deleting preferences didn't help me, nor did the root user suggestion, and I didn't want to mess around in terminal because I don't know it.

The "Containers" suggestion didn't do anything for TextEdit, which apparently has the same problem. However, getting info on TextEdit then clicking the box for "Open in 32-bit mode" did fix the problem. So, I got 2 good fixes from this discussion.

Preview crash after Lion install!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.