Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different folders for different desktops in Mission Control

I would like to have different desktops for different uses. One would be for media/internet, one would be for music production, and one would be for web development. As such, I would like to have different desktop set-ups on each i.e. for the first one I would have DVD Player, Itunes, and shortcuts to my music/movie libraries. My second desktop would have my DAWs, various utilities and folders full of pdf manuals for music eqipment. On the second desktop I have no use for movies and DVD players cluttering up the space, and on the first desktop I have no need for my DAWs.

This seems intuitive to me, so I hope that there's a way to do it. If I had 3 monitors I certainly wouldn't want the exact same icon set to be repeated on each screen, and I don't understand why I would want that with Mission Control.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:44 AM

29 replies

Jul 25, 2011 9:19 AM in response to Zedius

Hi, I have just login into this apple community, because I NEED AND I WANT EXACTLY the same as you asked.

I agree that it is very intuitive and logical what you are asking for.

I would really LOVE one desktop for work, other for media, and other personal stuff. Everyone with each different files, icons and folders.

Apple! Please, look at this POST ans find a way to this!!!

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2011 9:37 AM in response to Zedius

Actually, that's the point of Mission Control. I never used Spaces, but now it is dead simple

Open Mission Control (F3 by default, or by gesture -four fingers up-), to see the desktops you already have. While in MC, point to the right up corner and a "+" tab will let you add a new desktop. Then you can arrange by drag and drop any apps between desktops!

Note that every app in full screen mode has its own desktop/space, and it's not possible to add any other app to it, or move it to another. To accomplish that, exit full screen mode, and that app would be added to the next desktop available. Then you can move it as described before.

Hope it helps.

Rolando

Jul 25, 2011 10:36 AM in response to asterisco

Well, personal opinion, I think 🙂 Sorry if I didn't understand your specific concerns.

What is the problem in opening just the folders you need on every different desktop? Having all your files and apps available on every desktop is a good thing, as I see it.

Why should a desktop be "cluttered" with apps you are not using, if they can be moved from or closed on that desktop? What icons are on your way that may cause annoyance to a specific desktop?

And unless I'm mistaken on this one, you can just leave opened any apps in any desktops for any specific, special purpose, when you restart or sleep your Mac. The Resume feature should restore all of that, I assume.

Regards,

Rolando

Jul 25, 2011 12:31 PM in response to rolandomerida

I like to have icons on my desktop for quick access, but I don't need them all the time. If I am working on music, I don't want to have to scan 30 icons for my 'synthesizer user manuals' folder. If I had 3 montitors I wouldn't have the same icons on each screen. I would have a music desktop (DAWs, user manuals, notes etc), a projects desktop (textwrangler, xcode, word processors etc.), and a media desktop (youtube, movie shortcuts, dvd player etc.).

This is what I would like to be able to do with mission control. Having to scan 30 icons for my dvd player makes my desktop look really crowded, and it's awkward to navigate that.

So I'm not talking about my desktop being cluttered with apps I am not using, that I can just close or move, I'm talking about my desktop being cluttered with app icons that are not open... just there to be clicked immediately if I would like to open them.

Thanks for your help, though. I appreciate the answer; I believe it is impossible for me to work with Lion in the way that I wish to, so I have given you a correct answer for that.

Thanks also for the link to the feedback page. I will see what Apple says, and at least they will have one more request for the functionality.

Aug 24, 2011 2:26 PM in response to Zedius

I agree and would like the feature you are asking for, similar to some linux distributions. I'd even like to take it further and lock specific documents to a desktop when open IE music_manual.pages opens on the "music" desktop and accounting_budget.pages opens in my "financial" desktop. As for quickly opening applications, have you looked into quicksilver or alfred? They allow you to use key commands to quickly open applications with out leaving aliases on the desktop.

Sep 6, 2011 3:13 PM in response to Zedius

This is intriguing, not least of all because the semantic problem of using the word "desktop" to refer to completely different things has made some people pretty grumpy

I use compulsively pushing the envelope of my work environment as a way to keep my scripting skills in shape, and so I couldn't resist doing a quick proof-of-concept to see if implementing what you want is possible without hacking anything that an average users shouldn't touch. There's a very workable solution at the level of what I think of as "elegant band-aids." I can see it would even possible to have it both ways - a desktop shared between all spaces and one that's unique to each space.

It is. It's not even difficult - it requires understanding a few simple concepts, basic familiarity with Automator, enabling the root account on your system and about 5 lines of AppleScript that I've already written and tested.

I'm going to do it for my own use, but if anyone else wants it, just ask and I'll type up the instructions. If enough people want it, I'll write a script to automate it. lleH, if there's a clamor, I'll write an little app. I can understand why Apple would choose not to implement it in the interest of elegance and simplicity, but also understand why expert users would like to complicate matters just a bit.

Sep 18, 2011 1:48 PM in response to adusty8

Ah - I'm glad you asked.

The operation was a success, but the patient died. The confusion (and bizarrely unnecessary vitriol in some cases) here is all about the failure to understand that the Desktop is nothing more or less than the folder ~/Desktop. Sure, the window for ~/Desktop is mandatory, open all the time, always in icon view, and has no graphic elements other than a background image, but still… It's just a folder, and with sufficient permissions, you can do whatever you like with it.

You can create as many "desktop" folders as you like, turn ~/Desktop into a symbolic link or alias, and programmatically point it at your different space-associated desktop folders as part of the process of switching to different spaces. It's an elegant applescript or shell script notion that doesn't require hacking code that'll only be broken by future updates, but…

The problem is that the Finder is slow to notice and update its display. Relaunching it works, but it's jarring, ugly, and has undesirable side effects. So while the whole concept works just fine, I haven't found a way to make it worth implementing. It's just not acceptable to have anything so ubiquitous be even the slightest bit awkward or ugly. Even tiny glitches quickly begin to feel like having a grain of sand stuck in your eye.

If anybody wants to talk about it at more length, chat me up at aim: laughingboot; yahoo: laughingboot; or googletalk: laughingboot@gmail.com. I feel sure there's a solution out there somewhere, but I'm just too swamped to hunt it down right now.

-Bryan

Different folders for different desktops in Mission Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.