Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't i add top level imap folders (mailboxes) in Mail???

Having used MS Outlook for a while with my IMAP account, i thought i would try out the new and improved Mail in OS Lion. The structure of my mailbox on the left hand panel is as follows:

MAILBOXES

INBOX

CLIENT 1

CLIENT 2

CLIENT 3

SUBFOLDER

SUBFOLDER

SUBFOLDER

CLIENT 4

CLIENT 5

CLIENT 6

CLIENT 7

SENT

TRASH

MY COMPANY NAME

TRASH

JUNK

SENT

This has worked fine with outlook and with outlook i am able to add extra IMAP folders (or mailboxes as Mail calls them). In outlook i can add to the flient folders and the subfolders inside a client folder.

However, with Mail, when i 'add new mailbox' it will only let me add a new 'folder' inside one of my client folders. It will not let me add a foler to the 'Client' level.

If i add a new mailbox and try and place it at the top 'Client' level, the new folder ends up going here...

MAILBOXES

INBOX

CLIENT 1

CLIENT 2

CLIENT 3

SUBFOLDER

SUBFOLDER

SUBFOLDER

CLIENT 4

CLIENT 5

CLIENT 6

NEW FOLDER DOESNT APPEAR HERE

CLIENT 7

SENT

TRASH

MY COMPANY NAME

TRASH

JUNK

IT APPEARS HERE INSTEAD???

SENT

and NOT in my inbox...

Can anyone help? As this is the reason i have to use outlook because Mail wont let me create new IMAP folders at my 'Client' this level?!?

Any help would be appriciated, maybe im looing at it wrong as im used to outlook

Mac OS X (10.7), Mail is the product

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:25 AM

2 replies

Jul 22, 2011 3:14 AM in response to shaunfromleicester

I am having the same sort of problem with my IMAP e-mail account. My INBOX has several subfolders, but most of the time, those are not visible. Sometimes (what causes this, I don't know yet), the subfolders do show, but then all the e-mails in it, including those in the INBOX, are not visible...

Some weird bug this is, which may be related to Shaun's problem? I hope this gets fixed, or somebody knows what causes this and/or how to circumvent this.

-edit-

Maybe it is an old problem, but just like Shaun, I thought I'd would give Mail app 5 a try after the upgrade to Lion, so I wouldn't know. But I think it is an old problem, since my e-mail provider has a work-around posted on their support site, for Apple Mail and iOS Mail. This seems to work great for me (removing the root path 'INBOX' and using another connection port in the account settings), but might not be a solution to other people having the same problem.

Mar 9, 2014 11:10 PM in response to shaunfromleicester

I've moved from Windows to Apple and transferred my Outlook files over - which preserved the folder structure as described above. I too found it confusing when trying to add a new folder (or Mailbox as Apple likes to call them) to my inbox. I discovered that if your IMAP account is a GMail account, you can add labels (as GMail calls folders/mailboxes) within GMail and they will appear as top level folders within Mail. So I've been doing that anytime I want to add a new folder.

My problem is that I have been given a non-GMail IMAP account - in addition to my others - and I can't figure out how to add a top level folder that appears in the right spot (as described above).

Any assistance would be welcomed.

Why can't i add top level imap folders (mailboxes) in Mail???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.