Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable autosave

Hello, anybody figured out how one can disable autosave? I just *don't* want it, and I have my reasons.

Thanks,

l.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:32 AM

I don't think so.

696 replies

Jul 21, 2011 10:36 AM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

I don't know that there's a way to disable it systemwide. It really doesn't exist in too many apps yet. I know in the few that it does exist in, such as TextEdit, it is an option in Preferences > Open and Save > Savings Files.

MP 😎

Jul 21, 2011 10:55 AM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

I see. I use Offce 2011 so I'm not too familiar with Pages. I agree, I don't think I would want autosave on. Luckily for me, Microsoft's OSX development is so slow, we'll be on a new operating system before they add autosave. 😁

⚠ Try System Preferences > Time Machine > Options ⚠

Jul 21, 2011 10:50 AM in response to Community User

I really like Auto Save (have been using Lion for awhile now) and I miss it in apps like Office. However, Auto Save without Versions is not good. Auto Save won't make sense for apps like Photoshop, due to file sizes.

I have 4 documents open in Text Edit that have never been "saved" - They are all untitled. They have persisted across many reboots. They act like super stickies 😝

Jul 22, 2011 2:44 PM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

I need the option "do not save" on closing the file. I think I'm not the only one around. This is really a serious issue becaus versions just flat-irons over my work with stuff that I don't want to be saved. That's just the same as data loss.

And I don't see why I should use the go-back-to-previous-version celebration movie.

For a quick fix I'd love to shut down autosave.

Jul 22, 2011 3:30 PM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

I also need to disable auto-save and versioning. I was croping some photos on Preview just to check how they looked that way. Later I found that the photos where cropped even if I didn't save them. It doesn't make any sense. Lion is starting to annoy me and I think I'll go back to Snow Leopard. The weird thing is that to me Snow Leopard feels like an update from Lion and not the other way! Strange thing...

Jul 22, 2011 3:38 PM in response to joaomcarvalho

Yes, this is precisely the kind of things I do and I do not want to save! Add to it that if you have Versions on text documents, it's practically impossible to figure out what you want to go back to and what you want to throw away for any kind of text file longer than one page or so. What are you going to do with the zillions of versions saved against your will, in case you really need to go back to a previous version of, say, a manuscript of 40 pages? Are you going to read all the 40 pages a zillion times? Because Versions does not show you the changes between versions, but the full **** thing!

I am sorry to say I have the same feeling as joaomcarvalho....

l

Jul 23, 2011 3:06 AM in response to lucafrombrooklyn

Hello i was so excited about auto save as i am a heavey iWork keynote user. I put together a lot of big presentations for my job with video and audio and other media that looks great in keynote. Its always been a dream to use over my powerpoint users. However since upgrading to Lion, every time i ad media to a keynote presentation it freezes for 1 or 2 mins. I assume its auto saving but as the files are large its increased my work load 100 fold. Its just not workable. And i nearly punched the screen the other day its driving me insane. I have a top spec iMac so its not the hardwear its always worked well.

The demonstration that Apple use in the videos are with a simple docunment. I really hope Apple see this as a curse and not a help. A smaller point but just as fustrating, gestures with the mouse keeps kicking in by acident at least i can switch that off. I think its Lion is style over substance im afraid. (i love Apple by the way so this is not flipant feedback)

Jul 23, 2011 3:10 AM in response to tim ferris

Yes the problem with Lion is less in the details than in a general choice which seems to be terribly wrong: the new features are intrusive, non respectful of the users's choices, and cannot be changed. They have also not been thought through completely. This reminds me very much Windows and it's a sad observation on the part of somebody who has used Apple for the past 30 years. Never seen something like that before. Let's hope somebody puts the system back in its right track.

Disable autosave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.