Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log in local in osx server

I Start the server with a mouse keyboard and display connected to it the login window appear, then I enter with my user and password, but it doesn't login, I try to reset password with the install DVD but after reseting it doesn't work, I try to share screen from other mac and the password works but again I get stuck in the first login window, I'm new to osx server so I need help on how I can login if the password reset utility is not working?

OSX SERVER-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:01 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2011 1:12 PM in response to juanlalupa

What might have changed prior to this problem? Anything installed? Anything reconfigured?

The question is not one of why the reset doesn't work. It does. The question is why the valid password is not being accepted, and that points to a problem with the login, with Open Directory, with DNS services, or with some other part of the system environment.

Your posting indicates you attempt a login from screen sharing. Does that not work? (Your phrasing is not clear to me; you seem to indicate that the password works, but that you see a login failure and are stuck at the first window?)

I'd try booting the DVD and running a disk verify and a protection reset (second screen of the installation, via Disk Utility), but my guess is that this configuration is headed toward a full backup followed by a reinstallation, if you can't regain access to an administrative user.

If you can get access to an administrative user, then try creating another one, and see if that works. And if you can gain access to an administrative user, look in the console logs using the Console.app tool located in the Utilities folder under Applications, and look for errors related to the login failures.

Jul 21, 2011 2:20 PM in response to juanlalupa

Thanks and Sorry for my bad english!!!

To keep things clear, before the issue the only thing I did before was to shut down, insert 2 sata drives, into bays 3 and 4, and when I start the server I can't login. When I look into server admin logs, this is what I receive from system log after the failure.

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: afp home directory mount failed in CreateSVEFromURL in AFP_OpenSession: status = Too many levels of symbolic links

this was from secure log

Jul 21 15:29:37 server01 SecurityAgent[153]: User info context values set for adminserver

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 SecurityAgent[153]: Login Window Showing Progress

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: DNSAddressResolver::DNSAddressResolver - _CFNetServiceCreateFromURL failed (maybe its a DNS name?)

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: FindValidIPAddress - socket 0, IPv4 192.168.1.25:548

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: FindValidIPAddress - connect worked socket 0

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: FindValidIPAddress - first valid address socket 0, family IPv4

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: FindValidIPAddress - prefered IPv4 address socket 0

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: IsLocalAddr: The addresses match, checking ports

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: IsLocalAddr: looks like the local afp port, returning true

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: GetStatus: connecting to self not allowed

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: SharedVolumeEnumerator::Init Connect returns 62

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - CreateSVEFromURL failed 62

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: ERROR | -[HomeDirMounter mountNetworkHomeWithURL:attributes:dirPath:username:] | PremountHomeDirectoryWithAuthentication( url=afp://server01.local/Users, homedir=/Users/adminserver, name=adminserver ) returned 62

Jul 21 15:29:38 server01 authorizationhost[152]: afp home directory mount failed in CreateSVEFromURL in AFP_OpenSession: status = Too many levels of symbolic links

thanks for the help

Jul 22, 2011 7:09 AM in response to juanlalupa

Thanks MrHoffman, After remove the disks I can login using the root user, but de adminserver account isn't login. In the login window I receive the following message "You are unable to log in to the user account "adminserver" at this time". "Logging in to the account failed because an error ocurred."

this from log console

Jul 22 09:07:07 server01 authorizationhost[152]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - CreateSVEFromURL failed 62

Jul 22 09:07:07 server01 authorizationhost[152]: ERROR | -[HomeDirMounter mountNetworkHomeWithURL:attributes:dirPath:username:] | PremountHomeDirectoryWithAuthentication( url=afp://server01.local/Users, homedir=/Users/adminserver, name=adminserver ) returned 62

sorry but I'm really new to macosx server so I don't understand to much of this.

Jul 22, 2011 12:19 PM in response to juanlalupa

It does not appear that DNS has been set up here, and it appears that there is an error accessing the adminserver home directory.

Using the root user, add and populate a new administrative user, and see if that works. (I'm here assuming local users, but accessing stuff via AFP implies that Open Directory is active, and Open Directory is dependent on DNS services, and the .local domain implies that DNS is not configured here. This could be that Open Directory is somehow corrupt.)

Please set up DNS services on your network. You cannot use ISP DNS for a network behind a NAT device, and much of Mac OS X Server is dependent on correctly-configured DNS services. Not having stable and valid DNS services will cause you various networking problems, particularly with security.

What triggered the error when those SATA disks were added is unclear; were those blank disks, or (as I might guess) did those contain copies of your boot disk?

Do you have stuff on this system that you need to keep? If not, I'd tend to start over again, and wipe the disks, reinstall, configure the IP network first (and preferably not in 192.168.0.0/24 nor 192.168.0.0/24 subnets), then get DNS services, then get Open Directory going, then the rest of what you need.

Can't log in local in osx server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.