Skip navigation

Lion Mail full screen composing problem

19598 Views 67 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 6:05 AM by Jose Reino RSS
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Paul Otteson Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 21, 2011 11:14 AM

So, I was composing an email in Apple Mail, Lion, full screen view, decided I wanted to check an old email for some info, and found that I could not access the inbox while my composition was open. Nor could I found out how to leave full screen but stay in mail. I seem to have to save my partly composed email as a draft, exiting composition, then return to it later after getting what I needed.

Do I have it right?

Is there a way to access the inbox when composing in full screen?

Is there a keystroke or some way to exit full screen while composing?

Feel free to show me up as dumb on this one (wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks.

Cheers,

Otto

• Thebestplacehere Level 3 Level 3 (700 points)
    Jul 21, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to Paul Otteson)

Hello i go full screen and i start composing and you right is no way to back to inbox or exit full screen with the esc key but if you point up the edge of the scree the menu appear and you can exit full screen and check inbox and back to compose ...

• rk-MA Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to Thebestplacehere)

This is a bug. A VERY BAD BUG!

It means that in the full screen mode, I can only read/compose a SINGLE EMAIL.

Usually for a reply I need to read a bunch of emails or look into my folders and all the sidebar and toolbar are locked.

• HendieDijkman Calculating status...
    Jul 27, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to Paul Otteson)

Apple's user interfaces are usually very intuitive, but this one certainly isn't! The only two options you have in full screen mode is Save and Cancel. If you pick Cancel, THEN you are asked whether you want to save a draft copy or not. Tut Tut Apple ... bad fruit!

• mactedder Calculating status...
    Jul 31, 2011 3:02 AM (in response to Paul Otteson)

I just cant understand how a thing as obvious as this has been overlooked by Apple?

Surely the months of testing by Apple and Developers using Lion would pick up on such a flaw in Mail's features!

This really does make Apple Mail 5.0 unusable in full screen mode. Very poor UI Apple.

Overall I am not impressed with Lion. What's launchpad all about?! The Dock is better. Just Apple trying to dumb down their software too much and forgetting the professional users.

• steviebeaton Calculating status...
    Aug 2, 2011 11:15 AM (in response to Paul Otteson)

Hi, also a similar issue im having is that I click to compose a new mail when in full screen mode but there's no way of sending the email or save a draft etc! Am i being really stupid or is this functionality missing?!

• tonefox Level 5 Level 5 (7,710 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 11:23 AM (in response to Paul Otteson)

The essential thing to keep in mind is that use of the full screen function is totally optional.

You get out of full screen by pushing the cursor at the top edge of the screen and clicking on the double arrow button at the right hand end of the menubar you now have in view. Or just press the "esc" key.

• GiantsFan Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to Paul Otteson)

Wow, no kidding that is bugged. I have not used Full-Screen mode before and it's kind of a trip to see the Menu bar scroll off screen. But not useful.

What is the purpose of Full Screen when it's unusable in that mode to send/read mail?

I'd say that will be an issue addressed in future updates.

• mactedder Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to tonefox)

Optional yes, but I wouldn't buy a ferarri to be told I can't use all the gears because they dont work.

A very poor design flaw by Apple and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Aug 2, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to HendieDijkman)

You've composed an email. What might you want to do with it? Send it, bin it, or save it for later. If you send it, then click the "Send" button. You're done. If you choose not to send it, the bin and save draft options are available under the "I don't want to send it button" which is labelled "Cancel".  You don't need the "save a draft copy or not' options unless you have chosen not to send it.  Perfectly logical.

• mactedder Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to tonefox)

So what if I want to paste text from another clients email, or refer to an older email whilst composing my message.??

I cant get away from the compose screen without closing my current message.

Aug 2, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to mactedder)

Then you don't set Mail to full screen mode!  Nobody is forcing it on you.

• Ceres1 Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 12:04 PM (in response to mactedder)

Not wanting to defend it or anything, but you need to view the full screen modes of applications in the light of iPhone and iPad. If you have ever used one of these devices, you will know that Mail works in exactly the same manner - you have the app running full screen and the mail you're typing has only two options: Send or Cancel

It seems to me that Apple's inclusion of full screen into the new Lion OS is aimed at unifying their iOS and Desktop OS - a smart move when many of Apple's users may now have started life on an iOS device, rather than on a Mac.

For those of us that have been with Mac since long before iGadgets were a twinkle in Steve's eye, we still have the normal windows where the apps work pretty much as before...

C.

• steviebeaton Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 2, 2011 12:27 PM (in response to Ceres1)

This is all well and good but the full screen mode (when composing a message anyway) doesn't even have the option to send or cancel. I have to come out of full screen mode and close the new message window to do anything. Even Esc doesn't get rid of the new message window in full screen mode.

Aug 2, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to mactedder)

And neither would I attempt to use the cruise control in heavy traffic.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.