Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Lion, now I cannot log in

Upgraded to Lion, now I cannot log in. System just sits there after I enter my credentials to log in, progress indicator spinning in the password field. Please advise !!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:43 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2011 1:29 PM in response to jeremysavoy

Hello guys,

I have this problem too. Before installing Lion my account was running under filevault, I read (to late) it was better to disable filevault before installing Lion... Now I can't log me in... I saw (in target mode) there is a Guest Home directory created (during the install I guess...) but cannot log me in to this account with my password... My Home directory seems to be empty, but it's may be the new encryption feature which doesn't display any information about the encrypted folders... well I'm a bit desperate...

Jul 21, 2011 1:35 PM in response to jeremysavoy

I booted into recovery console (cmd+R while booting) and I'm currently copying all of my files from /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/USERNAME over to a USB HDD, then I'm going to do a fresh install. I was not using filevault or any other encryption mechanism.

The other methods mentioned here of booting into recovery console and resetting root password had no effect, I cannot log into the root account after that, same behavior, the system just sits at the login screen but does not go any further.

Booo Apple.

Upgraded to Lion, now I cannot log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.