Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in iSight not working after Lion install

First I thought it was iglasses which I removed. I then unplugged my secondary Logitech cam; but still I can't get any image from the Built in iSight Camera after my Lion install.

It shows up as a USB peripheral in the mac System Profiler. What gives?

Thanks

Aluminum iMac 20 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 gigs RAM 2.66 Ghz

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:55 AM

13 replies

Jul 27, 2011 8:37 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

I hope that works! I tried this with the last Snow Leopard version (was having the same problem) and it only worked immediately after restart, and then after some unknown amount of time, iSight would quit working again. In order to use Skype, gChat, or any other programs, I would always have to restart my computer to get it to recognize again. So frustrating! This was never a problem until the last version of Snow Leopard, and now Lion. Argh! There does not seem to be a permanent fix.

Jul 28, 2011 10:09 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

I lost the camera under Movie '08, but the suggested fix has not worked for me. I have physically moved the machine twice in the last few days (for unrelated reasons), so it has been shut down and unplugged for more than the suggested intervals, but no success.

It still works under FaceTime and Photo Booth, so the problem is not with the camera itself.

Anyone else have luck with another solution?

Jul 28, 2011 3:45 PM in response to douwevt

My computer was actually recognizing my iSight. Is yours? To tell, do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2090

Instead of powering down and unplugging, I turned my computer off, and actually took out the battery for about 30 secondsy. Then put the battery back in and in order to turn back on, press the power button for about 15 seconds. It will make a kind of awful beep noise before the normal Mac noise. So far, it seems to have fixed it, but we'll see...

Jul 28, 2011 4:07 PM in response to mollyd8

Hi there mollyd8, yes, the computer still recognizes the USB iSight camera according to the system report. But the camera still doesn't work, not under any application or any userid. Also not after the SMU reset thing. I must say, this is something I had not expected from Apple..... The only comfort is that many people are experiencing this problem.

Aug 10, 2011 1:03 PM in response to douwevt

I don't know what the overall problem is, but mine seems to work if I bite the bullet and shut down every day instead of being lazy and just closing the laptop and putting it to sleep. Every time it goes to sleep, suddenly migh iSight is gone. So shut-down it is. Annoying but it works. At least you've found a solution! Sigh...

Nov 26, 2011 12:21 PM in response to douwevt

Hi, i read this very useful post to undestand why my iSight camera won't work under Quicktime video recorder, on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. I was sure it worked in the past, and for example Photo Boot works, Skype works but not Quicktime. I tried the reset pause, and anything happens. Solution for me was the idea of disconnect some USB peripherical. It was my external audio card for me, a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audiocard. It starts to work immediately. If i reconnect the audio card after the working window in Quicktime, it seem to continue to work in a perfect way, but if i close and reopen Quicktime iSight still blocked. Very strange, anyway i just can make it start when i need. I hope this will be useful to others.

Built in iSight not working after Lion install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.