Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wacom double click problem in Lion

Installed Lion last night with 2 problems rearing their head:

1. preferences / hidden library problems

2. wacom pen double click broken / lag

to elaborate:

1. preferences are causing trouble, I'm assuming it has to do with the now hidden library folder.

in TextEdit, autosave is locked

1password cannot save prefs

photoshop cannot save prefs

I reset all permissions in my home folder, then Lion would not start but opened up an options page. I repaired permissions. Lion started, but with these problems remain.

2. I have an intuos 2 tablet with a pen, works perfectly in SL. New driver installed etc. Everything works, except double click. Well, it will work 1 time out of 5, but it's really slowing down productivity.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2x3 Dual-Core Xeon | iPad | iPhone4

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:58 AM

26 replies

Aug 2, 2011 2:05 AM in response to Warwick Teale

you could try keeping an eye on this forum thread:

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7114&hilit=double+click

Hi Tonefox, yes I found that out. the problem though is not access to this folder, but the permissions in general. applications are not saving their preferences, mobileme is still showing calendar reminders from last week and not updating any events - no preferences can be saved due to me not having 'permission' even though I am an admin (and the only) user. I have gone back to snow leopard until another version of Lion is released.

Aug 2, 2011 3:20 AM in response to tonefox

many times. The last time I repaired permissions, lion restarted into the utilities options page, so it couldn't read the OS at all - reinstall, clean install, or install from time machine only. Even worse, it started to affect permission on my OTHER internal drive, which I had not touched at all with Lion. very scary stuff and negating the reason for a backup. I now have my original HD working well, and backed up 4 ways. will not touch Lion for now, although it\'s paid for and I would quite like the features

Aug 2, 2011 3:27 AM in response to 1000Autumns

Hi Guus, forgive me but I doubt the issue of the wacon double click (intuos) has anything related to disk permissions. It's something that has been added (changed) for the track/mouse underwear from 10.6.7 to LION OSX 10.7for which our mates at WACOM have yet to respond.

Yes I miss my "toggle down" = "double click" in my stylus / pen in my new Lion system. FWIW, my Wacom Intuos table stylus wi the "double clock" is still working as it used to on the other 2 sysres syste osx 10.6.8 systems (snw leopard).

I'm assuming we'll have to wait for WACOM.

w

HK

Aug 31, 2011 3:49 PM in response to 1000Autumns

Wacom is apparently (as of Aug 30) preparing a new driver that solves a bunch of these issues. For me, I am fuming! Wacom really dropped the ball. It's not like there weren't developer previews well ahead of the launch date for Lion. There's no excuse for them to be caught by surprise by this. And there's certainly no excuse for them to be taking THIS LONG to push an update. When the time comes I will be seriously looking for alternate tablets for me and my business. Absolutely rediculous.

Sep 4, 2011 12:49 AM in response to 1000Autumns

Thanks for the tip... Although it seems a **bit** better, it's still pretty hit and miss. The double click works but with a horrible lag. It still doesn't work in iTunes. And it's next to impossible to close certain windows with a single click. I find myself tapping the pen multiple time to get Lion to respond. Again, what burns me up the most is how long it's taking them to get this new driver pushed. They had PLENTY of time before Lion shipped to test it.

Sep 19, 2011 7:55 AM in response to 1000Autumns

You can not access the dock when using an app in full screen because Apple set it up that you need to mouse down past the screen edge. And you can not mouse past the screen edge if your tablet is mapped to the screen. It is like Apple did not even try QC testing Lion with a Wacom tablet at all.

Who knows why double click no longer works.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Sep 22, 2011 8:54 PM in response to 1000Autumns

1. preferences / hidden library problems

1. preferences are causing trouble, I'm assuming it has to do with the now hidden library folder.

I assume you mean the preferences for Wacom preferencepanel are reset after every logout/restart? I'm having exactly this problem, very annoying. Reinstalling the driver and repairing permissions didn't help.

Sep 24, 2011 12:18 AM in response to 1000Autumns

Hi Guys a few things that maybe very helpful that have occurred since we upgraded several production systems to Lion 10.7 and 10.7.1.

The issue with the behaviour of the wacom Intious tables reflected in other forums is seemingly remedied with a 13 Sept 2011 update of the driver from wacom. You can find it here

at http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/mac/pro/WacomTablet_6.1.7-4.dmg

Seems to work fine for my Intuos 3 tablet as it did prior to our Lion 10.7 upgrades from Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Now the issue reflected in this link seems to be affecting not only this component (wacom) but also many other items and it is die to the ACL's (access control lists) and file permissions in the seeminly "main"/first admin user of a Lion 10.7(.1) system that ws UPGRADED form SNOW LEOPARD.

I have no explanatation WHY this is the case however we have just gone through the following to repair/reinstate the ACL's and file permissions.

1) Symptoms: basically applications settings made in the application (chaneg prefs etc) are NOT maintain over subsequent restarts (launches) of the particular application. An example would be that the wacom prefs in the ~/Library/Preferences are not updated after a preference modification. In such a case the changes are thus never changed in the ~/library/preferences/ xxx.plists.. you get the idea.

We found various "file access denied" messages in /var/logs (see the console.app for this) for many apps after we upgraded to lion from snow leopard. ALso many "cant save bla-bla because you dont have access to the file ...bla blah."

2) Diagnosis: ok very easy to see. A simple view of these objects (files) and their directories will show in some cases that the use that you are logged into does not seem to have READ/WRITE access.. finder.app (+i/ get info) in finder .. reveale "sharing and permissions".

Also a unix command ls -als reveals some more details.

However, what is strange (and has been reported on these forums in other threads) is that an access for "everybody" as "custom" seems to be unusual.

Anyway this is all easily fixed...

3) Remedy:

Try this first.. it seems to work consistently:

Work Instruction #1 (found in another thread)

Step A: in the user you are having trouble with (eg you have logged into this user). In this example this user is called "fred"

Step B: fire up the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app to get into the unix bash shell .. (easy to use)

Step C: enter the following unix commands in the terminal.app window one at a time and press "return". some will take many minutes... but be patient. Also so be very careful as these are invoked under root using sudo! Change "fred" to you user!

cd /users

sudo chflags -R nouchg fred/

sudo chmod -R 775 fred/

sudo chmod -RN fred/

sudo chown -R fred:staff fred/

What these commands actually do:

• cmd #1 point the current directory to /users
  • cmd #2 cleans up / removed any locks from all the objects in all the folder in fred's home directory
  • cmd #3 corrects the file permissions in freds home directory
  • cmd #4 just removes any access control lists (ACL's) from the files in fred's home directory and all subordinate folders and files
  • cmd #5 sets the ownership of all the files folders and subordinate files and folders to be fred in freds home directory.

Step D: restart your mac and log back into you user (in this case user 'fred")

you will notice that your ~/library/ folder is now NOT HIDDEN in the finder. Lion 10.7 has it hidden by default so that you dont really want to fool with it. If you still want to hide it (As we do) issue the following command to HIDE the ~/library in the finder. You will see it hidden immediately. (Turn it off and as you like)

sudo chflags hidden ~/Library/

Workaround #2 - RESET a users home directory ACS's this is documented in several threads.... I have copied it here. We tried this as well and works on one Lion image ok...

Don't be scared to try this. It is simple and works fine as long as you follow the instructions.

1. restart your Lion 10.7(.1) mac and Hold down +R (command+r) while restarting Lion. Lion will restart in the Lion recovery partition and you will see the grey linen look.... (dont freak out 🙂 )

2. From the Utility menu (at top of screen). mouse down and select "Terminal" app and start it. The terminal.app window will appear and it will be in root mode prompt "..#".

3. In the Terminal window, type the command: resetpassword

4. The will start the resetpassword utility.. (YOU WILL NOT CHANGING THE PASSWORD!) it has the RESET ACLS interface.

5. You will see one or more startable mac/osx disk images that have MAC/OS , select the one that you are using. You may only have one.

6. from the users name selction further down, selct your user. (in our example user "fred")

7. in the bottom right coder ( @ 5 o'clock') is a RESET ACLs button/box. CLICK ON THIS BOX to RESET the ACLs for the selected user's home directory. Thus may take a few minutes or in one case for a large machine with 1.8TB of home directory files, more than an hour! .. just be patient.

8. when completed, the RESET ACLs box it will be greyed out and contain the word "DONE" when it has completed (.. dreadful English btw ..)

9. Quit this RESETPASSWORD application in the menus or use +Q (command +q).

10. then QUIT the Terminal application (from menu quit or use +Q / (command +q))

11. Lastly you will see a prompt for "select startup disk" etc etc.. including "RESTART"... just "RESTART".

12. Once restarted, now log back into you mac.. the ACLS will be reset for the home directory you specified. Use the FINDER INFO (+i / command+i) and check out the "sharing and permissions' of the folder and some random .plists in the ~/library/preferences including our favourite one for thour wacom tablets: com.wacom.wacomtablet.prefs

IN your inspections after using WORKAROUND #1 and/or WORKAROUND#2, you will generally see the ownerships corrected to yourself (or user "fred') has access as "read and write", staff "read and write" and everybody "no access"

Summary: these two proceddures are mentioned in several other forums and some threads in these forums. We have used them on 4 production systems and the file permisions and the behaviours of applicatios now seemvery stable.

If you need to do this selectively and NOT on your entire home diorectory, then just check the /applications/utilities/console.app and view the "all messages" logs to see what has failed with FILE PERMISSION errors.

Oh.. before I forget - TIMEMACHINE.. the only thing that has been an artefact of doing is that TIMEMACHINE see that ALL the folders and objects (files) have BEEN CHANGED and will want to back them up. Sadly this is the case.

We ended up moving the timemachine.sparsebundles.dmg to annother file system and archived to LTO4 data tape just in case. We then DELETED those sparse bundles for time machine and made TIME MACHINE take a complete (new full backup as it will do)..

Yes this is a small hassle but we left it over night and all these are fine.

Ah! and yes BTW, it seems /applications/utility/disk utility.app "repair disk permisions does not seem to access and user home directories. (I'll stand corrected ofcourse). So it wont help your home directory. (in reference to a prior post in this thread)

Simply (and this seems to be in Lion and possible previous os/s) Disk Utility only accesses all system files and NOT /users/ .. so no home directories. SO We ended up using simple unix chmod commands with either 755 or 700 to setthe file permissions. Consult the book of knowledge (wikipedia) or MAN pages or examples ongoogle to use this command. its simple eneough.. I'm not an I.T. person either.

Phew.. btw your wacom tablet behaviour in Lion should be fine now.. (nearly forgot)

HTH... it certainly helped us.

Warwick

Hong Kong - where our new Apple Store opened today at the IFC in Central!

whoops neglected to add about disk utility n "repair disk permissions"

Sep 27, 2011 7:56 PM in response to Warwick Teale

Negative... the newest driver does not clear up the double-click issue. It is as before: when I try to double-click a folder or harddrive (for example) it often selects the folder first, then recognizes the double-click and opens the folder or drive (so two clicks of the pen, when it should only take one). Still having the same problem closing windows as well. I'll stab the pen at the surface of my Intuos4 multiple times before it does anything. Often, I find myself just hitting command+w to close a window. And, still, it's next to impossible to rearrange my itunes playlists using the pen. Anyone else still seeing this problem?

wacom double click problem in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.