6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2011 6:24 PM by Petronius_arbiter
Thomas Klimke Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

When I start the lion help system and define a search, in most cases lion presents a result, but clicking on the search results ends up with the error message: the content can not be displayed, since your computer is not connected to the internet (that is rubbish, of course, the mac is connected to the internet). The help system of lion is therefore useless, because it is not available. Any oberservations?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

I never saw it do that in testing. 

Most of the content is local, but it will also look for related tech articles on Apple's servers.  Could there be something in your internet setup that's preventing that? 

• Thomas Klimke Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I killed tons of help related files from the user cache and prefs directory. With the start of the help viewer the hiutil process ran for some minutes and build up all the relevant files from the scratch. Now it works perfectly!

It is as always with a major upgrade of the OS! Most of your problems are related to your old stuff in the user library.

• Paul Oberressl Level 3 Level 3 (695 points)

Hi Thomas,

Could you pls. tell me in more detail what you did to solve this problem?

Have the same problem.

I would like to know specifically where this prefs directory & the user cache are located.

Regards

Paul

• Thomas Klimke Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

First of all, the user library is now hidden in Lion:

- Go to the terminal

- enter chflags nohidden ~/Library

Go to your user account, library is visible now

Go to the directory "cache" in your user library, start a search for "help", kill the help cache

Go to the directory "preferences" in your user library, start a search for "help", kill all related files with the ending .plist, there are a lot

Start the help viewer

Start "activity" app, watch the process "hiutil", it will ran for some time, as a result, some hundred new app related pref files will be added (the help viewer is searching all your apps for the implemented help files)

Start the help viewer after "hiutil" has ended

• Paul Oberressl Level 3 Level 3 (695 points)

I know you mentioned it but was extremely surprised HOW many of those files I had to delete. Thought, keeping useless files was Windows specific. Thanksalot it worked.

• Petronius_arbiter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you very much! It seems to work but I have to re-open certain help pages two or three times before the message "computer is not connected to the internet…" doesn't show up again and I can see the actual help content. Anyway, I am happy that I can display the once unavailable help content after all.