Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Listen up people!!! BEFORE updating to Lion, backup your disk!!!

And not just a TimeMachine backup -- go out and buy an external hard drive (they are cheap) and use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootable clone of the disk.

(Of course if you are the sort of person who checks the discussion group before trying the update then you are likely the same sort who has already run your clone...)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:16 PM

9 replies

Jul 21, 2011 6:47 PM in response to cathy fasano

This deserves a special bump up. The Leopard -> Snow Leopard upgrade was pretty seamless on all my machines. Snow Leopard to Lion has been nothing but misery right from the download process, and the aborted installs leaving me with unusable machines. Had it not been for SuperDuper I'd have gone postal.

Make a bootable backup of your drive, all of you.

Jul 21, 2011 7:15 PM in response to cathy fasano

cathy fasano wrote:

And not just a TimeMachine backup -- go out and buy an external hard drive (they are cheap) and use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootable clone of the disk.

I wish I had done a backup other than TM. Lion is working perfectly on my MBP (2010) except it will not recognize my TM backup on a WD MyBookWorld external drive any longer. I posted elsewhere and had a response that said that Western Digital is aware of the problem and is working on a work around.

Does anyone here know of a fix for this?

Jul 22, 2011 10:12 AM in response to cathy fasano

Periodic clones and data backup just make good sense

PERIOD. Whether you update and OS or not, because as

the saying goes "fecal matter will make its presence known

at most inopportune times".

I personally update my clones monthly or anytime before

an OS update or application update that spreads it's install

all over creation. I don't worry about those that just reside

in app folder and create a pref file. Those are easy to get

rid of and replace. I also have USB sticks to back up

current document directories on a daily basis.

Listen up people!!! BEFORE updating to Lion, backup your disk!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.