Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion requires 4 GB. Does that mean free memory?

Lion requires 4 GB to install. Does that mean 4 GB of free memory? Speak nwbie please.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 7:19 PM

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

So to install Lion you need 2GB of RAM and 7GB of hard drive space. These are just the minimums. Many people will recommend you have at least 4GB of RAM. And if you have less than 10GB of free hard drive space, you may have other issues, so you'll want to clear up much more free hard drive space if you were that low.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2011 7:19 PM in response to GGSA

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

So to install Lion you need 2GB of RAM and 7GB of hard drive space. These are just the minimums. Many people will recommend you have at least 4GB of RAM. And if you have less than 10GB of free hard drive space, you may have other issues, so you'll want to clear up much more free hard drive space if you were that low.

Lion requires 4 GB. Does that mean free memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.