Previous 1 2 Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 7:49 PM by Ignite Online
Josue Menjivar Level 1 (30 points)

I'm noticing that the volume controls don't work after a while. I repair permissions, restart and it's fine, but after a while when I press the volume buttons, no sound or activation happens. Anyone else having this issue after Lion install?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6 GB ram
  • Thebestplacehere Level 3 (705 points)

No at all.Restart your computer and if still the same problem hopefully it disappear very soon.

• tlevack Level 1 (0 points)

same issue here.  Volume control does not work at all.  It is grey out in menu bar... keyboard buttons don't work. Can't even adjust in system properties.  

• ChrisCUK Level 1 (0 points)

Same here the Keyboard and Menu bar sound controls have been greyed out, however it is fixed via a reboot.

Defo a bug Apple :/

• Gilles ph Level 1 (0 points)

same problem here

• Leafworth Level 1 (0 points)

Yep, just switched on my MacBook Pro and found that I no longer have the ability to control my sound. Can't even mute. This after struggling to get Lion to even send an email using my old @me.com email addy?

• mattm591 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the exact same problem on my Macbook Pro.

I found a suggestion for a similar problem saying to press Cmd + Alt + P + R when booting, but this made no difference.

I first noticed this after I enabled file vault on Lion.

• josephtusa Level 1 (0 points)

Hi everyone... I had the same problem. I don't know if it would work for you but anyway.. I went to Sound settings and to output tab: I noticed that there were two devices for the output, so i seleted the "internel speakers" that did the trick for me

• angarg Level 1 (0 points)

same issue here. i don't know about reboot, but plugging in headphones and then unplugging them works for me.

and, i don't have the "two devices" problem reported by josephtusa.

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.53 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system):          1.47f2

• mattm591 Level 1 (0 points)

I think I have discovered what is causing this for me.

If I have something plugged into the audio port in my MBP when I turn it off, and then remove it before turning on again, when it turns on the volume control is disabled and the only way to reactivate it is to plug in that same device and then remove it again whilst the laptop is turned on.

• tlevack Level 1 (0 points)

Ok. That did it. There was a bluetooth output that the settings were defaulting to.   I plugged in earbuds and my volume control came back.   Then I look at the output settings and saw the other device.. I selected internal speakers and all set.

• marathonman1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same problem, except worse. My iMac would work fine for a few minutes then the volume icon would show on the screen and the volume would turn itself down and mute itself. Nothing worked- resetting the sound output, manually adjusting the sound- nothing....

I read here about a bluetooth issue so I checked mine and it said that I had a bluetooth keyboard connected- Strange since I use a wired one. Turns out my old keyboard was on the shelf behind me and thiMac was picking up a signal from THAT keyboard while I was using the wired one. Took out the batteries- problem solved!

Hope this helps...

Don

• Rakeau Level 1 (0 points)

Similar issue here. Upon Boot, sound works at full volume but cannot be adjusted - menu bar icon, volume keys and slider in System Prefs are greyed out. Plugging in something to the 3.5mm Output port and unplugging again will release it and everything works.

With it working, if I reset, it will go back to grey.

I found if I disable Bluetooth, and then restart, Audio works straight away. Re-enabling Bluetooth after boot causes no issues.

Tried removing Paired devices, but this did not change the behaviour,

This is on a MacBook Pro, so no bluetooth keyboards etc.

• blee4 Level 1 (10 points)

I have the exact same problem after a reboot my volume controls are disabled. Lion will register when I try to press volume up/down and mute/unmute but when the icon pops up for volume when I press the keys it says volume controls are disabled. Turning on/off bluetooth doesn't do anything for me.

• Bern.bb Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for this observation about plugging in head phones; it did work. Although, I have only one attempt to count in these stats. But very worthwhile to note.

I did write on this in another thread where I also speculated about FileVault.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3328016

But maybe there is also interference with Parallels Desktop and how it handles anything on that when a virtual machine is running?

Anyway, before reading this thread, I could only try rebooting, and the disabling would only randomly disappear.

So, thanks again for noting the trick about the head phones

Previous 1 2 Next